Incorrect Distance

I decided to upgrade to a 720 from a 700. One of the biggest issues is that when I'm on a major stretch of highway, the 720 breaks it down into mini-sections. I live in metro Washington, DC. If I'm traveling on I-270 for 15 miles, my 720 breaks it up as following: stay on Interstate 270 for 2 miles. After 2 miles, I hear 'stay on Interstate 270 for 0.75 miles.' It does this for the full 15 miles. I see this on the screen as well. Why does it not just show that I'm 15 miles from my next exit?

Last week I was driving to a location where I wasn't too sure where it was. While driving on I-495 from Maryland towards Virginia, the 720 stated for me to exit in 2 miles. I look at the screen and it shows the arrows for me to exit. I exit onto the service road and then the 720 tells me to continue for 0.25 miles and then take the left exit onto I-495. I'm thinking why did it tell me to get off 495 and then get back on? It continued this behavior for about 10 miles. A few days later I made the same trip using the 720 and it did the exact same thing.

My 700 never did this. Is there some setting on the 720 I'm missing?

I tried a search but did not see anything. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Look at your Planning Preferences. You may have it set to chose the "Shortest Route" instead of the "Fastest" ...or maybe to "Avoid Motorways."

R?

I've noticed this too. I hate that it breaks up my local interstate every few miles. And it's nothing to do with early warnings, it just litterally breaks up the interstate. As I'm driving on I-4, I see on the bottom left corner of my unit that says "3.9 miles" so I'm assuming I'm probably going to exit in 3.9 miles or something (since I just quickly glance at the unit,) but no, once I hit those 3.9 miles, it says to go straight, then again, it says "5.4 miles" then stay straight stay on I-4, the over and over it will keep saying I-4. WTF??? WE ARE NOT RETARDED TOMTOM! WE KNOW TO STAY ON!!!

I'd rather know the FULL distance on the interstate so I get an idea on how long I will be on there for. If anything this makes us more confused because we keep thinking something will happen in "3.9 miles" or "5.4" miles only to find out we're still staying on the same damn road. Way to go DumbDumb!

I've checked planning preferences and it's set to Fastest.

Sageuvagony is having the same issue. Like me, I would like to know the full distance. For me, it's vert frustrating especially when you're on an unfamiliar interstate.

I was hoping there was a setting for this since my 700 did not do this.

I've checked planning preferences and it's set to Fastest.

Sageuvagony is having the same issue. Like me, I would like to know the full distance. For me, it's vert frustrating especially when you're on an unfamiliar interstate.

I was hoping there was a setting for this since my 700 did not do this.

In status bar preference you have a choice to show distance to destination as well as many other settings you might find what you want there.

The breakup of distances on the highways in the 720 are usually reflective of the fact that in, for example 3.9 miles (when the total distance is, say, 30 miles) there is a major exit off the highway you are travelling and the 720 is cautioning you to stay on the major highway lanes, not deviate. I've never found that to be an annoyance, but maybe that's me.

The breakup of distances on the highways in the 720 are usually reflective of the fact that in, for example 3.9 miles (when the total distance is, say, 30 miles) there is a major exit off the highway you are travelling and the 720 is cautioning you to stay on the major highway lanes, not deviate. I've never found that to be an annoyance, but maybe that's me.

I was on a trip in Sept. in NL and while driving to Saint Johns it wanted me to take an exit 2-3 different times and then back on the Hwy, It was also doing this in Nova Scotia close to where I live but this was corrected with the new 8.010. Don't know if the ones in NL or correct now or not as I had the 720 map when I was there.

This will sometimes happen when multiple highways are running concurrently on the same stretch of pavement such as I95 & US 301 for a short distance before branching off.

This will sometimes happen when multiple highways are running concurrently on the same stretch of pavement such as I95 & US 301 for a short distance before branching off.

So then according to TomTom, we're stupid and can't read signs, so they must constantly say "stay on here! stay on here!! dumbdumb!"

I mean if the device actually correctly showed "59.1 miles" then I would know that I will stay on THIS interstate for 59.1 miles and exit when it tells me to. I mean damn, even the map/road is colored for you, what more do you need? I'd be hella pissed if mapquest were to break up interstates like this as well.

I can't complain too much though, the TomTom does get me where I need to be without a problem. When I traveled to PA for my job and was running almost late (due to delayed flight) the ONE XL got me at my job site 2 minutes early. I love it! I'll love it even more when I receive my 720 tomorrow in the mail according to fedex.

It wasn't till after I returned my rental car that I found out my job pays for GPS rentals as well, but that's only if I have to travel anyway. I'm glad I own a TomTom. Alamo car rental rents out these really big bulky garmin units.

Last edited:
So then according to TomTom, we're stupid and can't read signs, so they must constantly say "stay on here! stay on here!! dumbdumb!"

I mean if the device actually correctly showed "59.1 miles" then I would know that I will stay on THIS interstate for 59.1 miles and exit when it tells me to. I mean damn, even the map/road is colored for you, what more do you need? I'd be hella pissed if mapquest were to break up interstates like this as well.

Sageuvagony, I know this and you know this but take a moment and consider many of the people you come across each day who are, to put it politely, blithering idiots. I don't know about now but before I retired from the Army training manuals were written at the 4th grade level. The uneducated and incompetent are all around us. The program has to be designed so that even they can find their way.

Sageuvagony, I know this and you know this but take a moment and consider many of the people you come across each day who are, to put it politely, blithering idiots. I don't know about now but before I retired from the Army training manuals were written at the 4th grade level. The uneducated and incompetent are all around us. The program has to be designed so that even they can find their way.

I completely understand. As I wrote in my edit in my previous post, the TomTom does get me where I need to be without a problem at all so far. I can't complain too much. And you're right, not everyone is good with interstates/directions.

Ask a Question