I81 Intersection W/P Freeze Up Unit

I am very new to this unit. It has the latest maps. I have made other W/Ps on I84 Newburg NY. When I try to create a W/P, Intersecting roads, including I81 at Harrisonburg VA the unit will freeze up. If it is hooked up, not connected, it will automatically connect to TomTom Home. I was able to create a W/P just off I81 on a local route. Also, how do I get rid of the little icon with the Map Correction symbol on it? I have deleted all marks but it is still there. Thank you

I am very new to this unit.
What is this unit?
It has the latest maps.
Which is what?
I have made other W/Ps
If W/P means way point what are you doing to make those?
If it is hooked up, not connected, it will automatically connect to TomTom Home.
If it is hooked up but not connected how can it automatically connect to HOME?
Also, how do I get rid of the little icon with the Map Correction symbol on it?
Which screen are you looking at? The map correction icon is on 3 of 3 in the Main Menu.
Do you mean the green Quick menu preference icon shown slightly above center and a little off the left margin, visible during the normal driving view?

I figured out the Map Change part, it was selected ON.

I was in the process of generating a Waypoint within Itinerary. The 720 was in the cradle hooked up, powered, to the laptop but not connected. When I got to the point where I was to select the 184 line in the lower window, to have it move up to the upper window, I touched the selection and the unit froze up and automatically connected to TomTom Home. I repeated this 3 times with the same result. I had already created a waypoint, for Itinerary, on I84 without a problem. Later I was able to create a waypoint adjacent to I81 on a local road intersection. It seems like it is a map problem.

It happens when I Add Favorite/Address/Cross Street/VA/Harrisonburg VA/ I / I 81 Sb or Nb
The 720 will freeze and then do a restart.

Other locations work okay. Is this a typical problem?

Sorry but I do not understand your posts and you do not reply to my specific questions..
Hopefully someone else may be able to help you.

Sorry if I got you confused. My last post provided the steps that I can take to repeat the problem.

The Waypoint confusion is because I was setting up an Itinerary. Waypoints were what I was working on but never got that far.

I only seems to happen on I81 near Harrisonburg VA.

The first time it happened the wire, USB, between my laptop and the cradle was Hooked Up. The 720 was not Connected to TomTom Home. However, when the problem happened, the 720 restarted and automatically Connected to TomTom Home. I did nothing but watch it happen!

If you try the steps I provided in my last post and you do not have the problem then we can assume it is within my 720.

Am I still missing some of your needed answers? Thank you for your help. Flagelpater

OK, let's start over again.
Please state step-by-step how you are going about it.
Which icons you click and what you type.

You do not have to give your home location but and intersection not far from there
so that I can reasonably duplicate what you are trying to do.

It happens when I

Add Favorite/Address/Cross Street/VA/Harrisonburg VA/ I / I 81 Sb or Nb

The 720 will freeze and then do a restart.

It will work okay with cross streets adjacent to I81 but not on I81.

Other locations work okay. Is this a typical problem?

It happens when I

I cannot get the I as a street name with my 815 map.

I drove I-81 Nb in Demo mode from
Exit 235, Rte 256, Weyers Cave Rd
Exit 240, Rte 682, Friedens Church Rd
Exit 243, US 11 Sb
Exit 245, Rte 659, Port Republic Rd
Exit 247 A/B, US 33, E. Market St
Exit 251, US 11 Nb
Exit 257, US 11, N. Valley Pike
Exit 264, Rte 211, W. Old Cross Rd

No exit with a capital I
Odd names like the double letter county roads in southern Wisconsin are memorable and I did not see an exit I when I drove by there in July with my 930 set for New Market.

I did notice an odd behaviour which could be the same as the freezing of your 720.
Any time after I entered cross roads, and I did that a few times, I could not enter a new cross roads pair without closing down HOME first. Only the previous cross roads displayed and no typed input was accepted.

I wonder if anyone else wants to give it a try to see if there is a reportable bug.

The "I" is part of the type ahead type of function. As you type "I" as in I81 the first cross road, the window below shows I81 Sb and I81 Nb. With just the "I" typed and then touching either I81 Nb or Sb is when the 720 will freeze up.

Hope this explains it a little better for you.

It would be nice if someone else with v 8.351 and NA v835.2419 on board would give it a try.

Thank you

I just confirmed that I could duplicate the problem again, it is still there. However, if I select another cross street prior to the Interstate, the problem is not there! Only while selecting that portion of the interstate first is there a problem. It must be a bug. Thank you

I just confirmed that I could duplicate the problem again, it is still there. However, if I select another cross street prior to the Interstate, the problem is not there! Only while selecting that portion of the interstate first is there a problem. It must be a bug. Thank you
I had done my above test while connected through HOME.
There. after the first time picking those streets, I did not get the option of using [Find] and the keyboard.

After my last post I disconnected from the computer and ran the test with the remote control and things worked out OK and I decided to use US 11 as the cross road.

I then decided to run it by tapping the screen as you may not have a remote and to check if there are any differences.

Oh boy! Exactly as stated by you, after entering I-81 Nb the unit froze. It then shut down and started up immediately with the "unit in the cradle connected to the computer" screen.

Multiple pin resets did not work. Putting it in the cradle it worked well with HOME but after Disconnect device the non-connected start up screen came on and stayed for some time and then shut down and immediately the cradle start up screen came on again.

After deleting those favorites and multiple resets there were still no results.
I shut the power off a few times in the cradle without Disconnect device and at one of these, the regular start up and driving view screen cam back.

From freezing to running again took about twenty five minutes.
I have no idea which of the attempts allowed the device to work again.
It could just have been a timed discharge of a capacitor

Sorry to hear you had all those problems. My 720 just did a restart. I do not have a remote, nor did I try it while Home was running. It must be a combination of things because I can use other interstates while making Favorites. Thank you for the help. I have reported it to TomTom.

I just tried this on my 720...it locked up and then rebooted also. (See sig for unit details).

Being the curious type, I then tried it using southbound, and it worked - after a few seconds, I was able to select the cross-street. Hmm. So I tried the northbound again...and it worked.

Weird.

I have a lot of experience with GPS but this is my first TomTom, only had it a couple of days. My unit repeats the problem every time, but it works okay if I don't try the interstate first.

My unit repeats the problem every time, but it works okay if I don't try the interstate first.
Well, I had a thought as to what may cause this problem.

At Harrisonburg, VA there are two I-81 Nb/Sn & US 11 intersections, Exit 243 and 251.
When choosing Crossing or intersection and entering I 81 Sb or I 81 Nb the computing processor is put in an endless decision process and shuts down to protect itself.

This results in freezing in one way or the other when not connected to HOME and it results in not being able to make a selection of any other street or the keyboard while connected to HOME.

Your statement that the freeze up does not occur when an other road is selected first reinforces my thoughts.
However, I am troubled a bit as either intersection is listed as US 11.

Meanwhile, I cannot select any other city in Virginia than Harisonburg, Verona and New Market, the latter two I had used for the Demo driving test.
Additionally the only (frist) cross roads available ate I-81 SB and I-81 Nb.

Wonder if anyone with computer programming experience could chime in here in regards to the freeze up..
Cheers,
Arno

As I said, I presume it to be a computer (device) programming problem.

I just installed my back-up NA map in order to Navigate to ... any place in Virginia again.

Ask a Question