HP ipaq rx5915: can we upgrade TTN6 and/or maps?

Hi everyone!

I have a ipaq rx5915 with TTN6 and a North America map v6.60 that I updated from the HP website. I'm trying to see if I can upgrade the software and the maps on it.

First, can we use TTN7 ?
Second, I read somewhere that the latest map version for TTN6 was 6.75. Could we not use the 7.20 version as well with TTN6? By that I mean, can I not simply replace the map data or do I have to go through a special update (HP setup file)?
I was not sure if the map version number (7.20) means that it works only with a 7.x version of TTN...

Thanks for any clarification!

Tinick

Tomtom for the smartphone/PDA market stopped at version 6, which means the latest maps we can use are the 6.75 maps. Version 7 or 8(which is just now becoming available for the x20 and x30 series of standalone GPS units) is not available for our devices. 700 or 800 series maps will not work with Navigator 6. In theory, the 6.75 maps will work with Mapshare, but since we don't get the feature, that doesn't mean anything.

In addition to this, Tomtom now lists Navigator 6 under "original products", indicating that it is no longer sold or maintained. We will never see new maps made available for our products, until they release a new version. In short, we have been abandoned, with no word on if there is ANY development work being done for the smartphone/PDA market.

Thanks for the clarification Targonis!

It's just too bad... I just finished a 2000 km trip using the GPS and I loved the experience. There were some map errors and some missing addresses but overall, it helped a lot!!

So, if we are out of luck concerning the map updates, is it the same with the POIs? I mean, is it possible to use the POIs file from another version (7.xx) or is it tightly linked to the road file and its version? I noticed a few errors in my current version and it would be nice to at least update those...

Finally, I was wondering if the iPAQ could use another version of TomTom and/or maps on an SD card instead of looking in its internal storage? That could be an interesting option...

Thanks again for your help!

Tinick

At a guess it will be running hacked maps rather than ones issued and activated by TomTom, illegal activity such as selling an item like this is simply theft in my book - Mike

Ask a Question