How to import .gpx file to TomTom watch not using mysports.com website

Just an update - I have now successfully added new playlists to my TomTom Runner music watches - so my watches live on...đź‘Ť
Hello Runningman,
can you lighten me up where to put the playlist file (and in which format) on my TomTom watch?

I think it has to be put to <drive of watch>:\MySportsConnect\Music but I'm not sure if there is a default name for the playlist file.

I managed to upload songs to my watch via Windows Explorer, the watch appears when I connect it via USB. I created a playlist in iTunes (500 songs fit on the watch) and then slid it into the appropriate folder on the watch.
Unfortunatly that does not work on my pc. Sliding the Itunes playlist from Itunes to the usb drive (tomtom watch) gives a red cross and does not work. The only way that was succesfull was to make a playlist in the program mp3tag ( gives a functional m3u file) and add the first 2 lines (for the structure) manual. I also had to modify the master playlist file on the watch. This manual adding the following lines in the playlist m3u is for displaying on the watch.
#EXTM3U
#TTPLAYLIST_NAME: yourname

and for the masterplaylist m3u or m3u8

#TTPLAYLIST
#NAME:yourname
playlist001/yourname.m3u

playlist001 can be everyname for example simpleminds or whatever directory name you choose.

Maybe a member has a more handy workaround. Let me know.

Last edited:
Hi joostpop,

thanks a lot for your answer.

But still I can't manage to work it out properly.

Here are the details of the file directory:

D:\MySportsConnect\Music
masterplaylist.m3u (file) <------------ do I have to use a specific name for the master playlist??
#TTPLAYLIST
#NAME:2024-01-30Antwerpen
2024-01-30Antwerpen/2024-01-30Antwerpen.m3u
2024-01-30Antwerpen (directory)
several MP3 files
2024-01-30Antwerpen.m3u (file)
#EXTM3U
#TTPLAYLIST_NAME: 2024-01-30Antwerpen
#EXTINF:89, -
2024_01_30 Antwerpen CE 1644-01.mp3
...and so on (20 MP3 files in total)

If I manually double-click the two playfiles on the PC it works (music is played in media player).

Just on the watch the playlist is not shown under "SETTINGS -> PLAYLISTS". Only "All Music" is displayed.

Hi joostpop,

thanks a lot for your answer.

But still I can't manage to work it out properly.

Here are the details of the file directory:

D:\MySportsConnect\Music
masterplaylist.m3u (file) <------------ do I have to use a specific name for the master playlist??
#TTPLAYLIST
2024-01-30Antwerpen (directory)
several MP3 files
2024-01-30Antwerpen.m3u (file)
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:89, -
2024_01_30 Antwerpen CE 1644-01.mp3
...and so on (20 MP3 files in total)

If I manually double-click the two playfiles on the PC it works (music is played in media player).

Just on the watch the playlist is not shown under "SETTINGS -> PLAYLISTS". Only "All Music" is displayed.
For masterplaylist.m3u you do not have to change the name. You only need the following lines:
#TTPLAYLIST

So no mp3 names etc.

in the 2024-01-30Antwerpen.m3u, in the 2024-01-30Antwerpen directory, you have to mention the mp3 files for example:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:228,Scooter - Faster Harder Scooter
01 Scooter - Faster Harder Scooter.mp3
#EXTINF:201,David Guetta - Let's Love
02 David Guetta - Let's Love.mp3
#EXTINF:289,Take That - The Flood
03 Take That - The Flood.mp3
etc

of course all the mp3 files must be copied to the watch in directory 2024-01-30Antwerpen

Yes, I did all that and it didn't work.

BUT: I have found the solution:)

In directory D:\MySportsConnect\Music the Master playlist needs to have the file extension .m3u8
like masterplaylist.m3u8
I added two playlists there:
#TTPLAYLIST
#NAME:2023-09-30Esch
2023-09-30Esch/2023-09-30Esch.m3u

So on the watch I can now choose between these two playlists and of course the "All music" variant (every music file in shuffle mode).

Dear joostpop, thanks a lot for your help and I hope this will help some other users as well.

Cheers,
RĂĽdiger

Yes, I did all that and it didn't work.

BUT: I have found the solution:)

In directory D:\MySportsConnect\Music the Master playlist needs to have the file extension .m3u8
like masterplaylist.m3u8
I added two playlists there:
#TTPLAYLIST
#NAME:2023-09-30Esch
2023-09-30Esch/2023-09-30Esch.m3u

So on the watch I can now choose between these two playlists and of course the "All music" variant (every music file in shuffle mode).

Dear joostpop, thanks a lot for your help and I hope this will help some other users as well.

Cheers,
RĂĽdiger
Sorry Rudiger i was forgotten to mention that the master playlist has a m3u8 extention ! I did not know this was crucial. But you succeeded and that is the most important thing!

Hi @joostpop @rhoeckel please help. I have tried and tried to do this with no success and i just cannot get it to work. I did on one attempt get a playlist that i called Stuff with the songs Bohemian Rhapsody.mp3 and Killer Queen.mp3 inside to show on the playlist but the mp3's inside wouldn't play. When i connected my head phones and went to play the songs, all it said was song, no title, nothing and it would not play. I removed the playlist and i cannot even replicate that now lol.
I would very much appreciate that if either one of you or both could please provide detailed numbered step by step instructions that a person with limited knowledge like me can understand.
If possible could you please do the step by step instructions as if i'm doing the above with a playlist called Stuff with the Bohemian Rhapsody mp3 and Killer Queen mp3 inside.
Thanks, Tee.

Hello @Tee,

1 Firts copy all the mp3 files to a new directory on the watch (Drive):MySportsConnect\Music\yourditectoryname for example Queen.
2 Second make a playlist; I use Mp3Tag because it creates the good structure.
3 Open the playlist in the windows textwriter Notepad
4 Insert the folowing lines before the rest of the lines
#EXTM3U
#TTPLAYLIST_NAME: yourplaylistname
5 save m3u file and copy it to (Drive):MySportsConnect\Music\yourdirectoryname
6 Open (Drive):MySportsConnect\Music\masterplaylist.m3u8 with windows textwriter Notepad and add the folowing lines:
#TTPLAYLIST
#NAME:yourplaylistname
yourdirectoryname/yourplaylistname.m3u

If you want more directories than add a new #NAME tag for example:
#TTPLAYLIST

Last edited:

Ask a Question