GPS Bluetooth

TomTom Model(s)
GO920
I have a verizon blackberry. I want to use gps on it for an app i have. But as we all know they disable it. So you can by a bluetooth gps puck (reciver) Problem is there seems to be no point since i have a go 920 right next to my phone. So my questikons is can i use the tomtom as a bluetooth recienver for my phone?

I have a verizon blackberry. I want to use gps on it for an app i have. But as we all know they disable it. So you can by a bluetooth gps puck (reciver) Problem is there seems to be no point since i have a go 920 right next to my phone. So my questikons is can i use the tomtom as a bluetooth recienver for my phone?
There are presently no 3rd party applications that will transmit the NMEA GPS data over the TomTom's Bluetooth connection. In fact, the 3rd party guys have struggled to get the raw NMEA (non-road-snapped) data from the TomTom to begin with since they changed the firmware on the TomTom units not long back. In addition, I do not know of a 3rd party application that has successfully hooked into the Linux Bluetooth stacks to transmit anything. Further, it does not appear that TomTom supports the simpler SPP Bluetooth profile that I believe is commonly used for this purpose.

In short -- you'll need the puck for your unit.

Why not just use your TomTom normally? It's why you have it, right?
I think this was the key to his post: "I want to use gps on it for an app i have." There are some pretty slick applications for PDAs and the like that make use of GPS data that aren't supported by any of the TomTom authors.

Unfortunately, some of the phones that *could* allow use of their GPS data won't allow 3rd party applications to get to it. That's primarily so that the carriers can exclusively sell their own services (including navigation and access to their MONSTER on-line POI files) and keep everyone else out. It bites. I had to break the same bad news to a Palm Trio user here the other day.

Last edited:
Man this stinks. I love this thing. But ineed gps cordinates. I laso have a digital police scanner that can use gps cordinates to turn on certain freqs.

Man this stinks. I love this thing. But ineed gps cordinates. I laso have a digital police scanner that can use gps cordinates to turn on certain freqs.
Let me guess -- a Uniden trunk tracker? Very slick technology. Also recent enough to cover the folks that are taking advantage of the 700MHz rebanding. I'm jealous. If that's what you have, though, I haven't seen any support for moving the GPS data via Bluetooth. As I recall, the NMEA data must come across on a DB-9 serial connector. No such connection available on the TomTom.

Its a uniden bcd996 Uniden | A World Without Wires - BCD996T
Its got more features then god
A nice unit, but as I noted, it requires that the NMEA GPSr data be delivered across a serial connection, not Bluetooth, and the TomTom has no serial port to deliver that data, even if a 3rd party were to develop the application to do it.

It's too bad in a way. There are people who would very much like to have access to raw NMEA output from a TomTom to feed into topographic mapping software for a PC. Yes, there are actually people out here to stick the PC on the passenger seat and roll off into "uncharted" territory... uncharted by TeleAtlast, that's for sure. As it is, they need to either buy a different GPS unit or get a puck that will feed GPS data to their notebook computers. You will find that some of those still provide serial port out, so for your Uniden, I'd be looking for one of those.

A nice unit, but as I noted, it requires that the NMEA GPSr data be delivered across a serial connection, not Bluetooth, and the TomTom has no serial port to deliver that data, even if a 3rd party were to develop the application to do it.

It's too bad in a way. There are people who would very much like to have access to raw NMEA output from a TomTom to feed into topographic mapping software for a PC. Yes, there are actually people out here to stick the PC on the passenger seat and roll off into "uncharted" territory... uncharted by TeleAtlast, that's for sure. As it is, they need to either buy a different GPS unit or get a puck that will feed GPS data to their notebook computers. You will find that some of those still provide serial port out, so for your Uniden, I'd be looking for one of those.
DO you know of any of these bucks that can do both serial as well as BT? If it will work with scanner and the phone might be worth the money
Thanks
Mike

DO you know of any of these bucks that can do both serial as well as BT? If it will work with scanner and the phone might be worth the money
Thanks
Mike
No, I don't, although there are serial to BT dongles out there. This has sort of ceased to be a TomTom discussion. If you'll PM me, I might be able to point you at some (clumsy) solutions, but nobody that I know is making a device that will serve all your needs at once.

The good old Holux GPSlim236 can be used with Bluetooth and serial at the same time, the slight issue is the voltage level for the serial is at USB levels rather than true RS232, so you also need a converter lead to boost the voltage to the true level. I think a Sony PSP mini USB to 9 pin D type lead can do the voltage conversion, I have the 236 but cannot find the lead at the moment but they are still available - Mike

Ask a Question