Go720 reboots / loops and North_American Map files appears to be the problem

I've finally half-solved my rebooting / looping Go720!

After slinging in the back of a cupboard for 18months I got it out last night and after trying lots of stuff mentioned in the forum, reformating, deleting files, and flash tools (way back)

Here's when I had the original problem...

https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-go-630-720-720t-730-730t-740-750/18506-720-loops-startup-faq-fix-fails-fix.html

But after a very late night I now have a booting 720....but only with my UK maps!

When I insert my 2Gb SDcard with my North_American_2Gb files into the unit....or copy that directory structure onto the built-in memory, and on a new SD card - and the looping problem comes back again.

I have also tried the delete configuration file fix to no avail.

It's actually a US purchased unit and the UK maps were an additional purchase.

Any ideas how I might get the North_American maps to work without the reboot problem?

Using HOME, even when looping, when connected to the Computer, HOME can see both Maps and is offering me an upgrade (at a cost of course).

So I think my options are:

1. Somehow fix the North_American Map
2. Pay for the upgrade and hope that solves the problem.
3. Ditch the old American Map and buy a new download.

Any thoughts or ideas very welcome?

thanks

I have a 740, mine started looping a couple of months after I got it. I ended up doing a soft reset on it and it actually fixed it. I doubt this helps at all.....

How long (if ever) has it been since you did a backup of your U.S. spec 720 unit? Have you ever updated the maps that came with it? It's possible you'll need to restore a copy of your NA_2GB map from your PC to your SD card and try again.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Unfortunately, I don't have a backup from before the problems started. My 4yo jumped onto the coffee table and landed on top of my laptop and crashed the harddisk :(

Was an excuse to buy a Mac but lost the TomTom backup.

Ouch.

Please advise where your UK and US maps are located on your 720 (internal or SD or ...)

Hi Canderson

My functioning UK map is on the 720 internal. I had the US map on my SD card.

I've tried the US map on the SD card - that loops when the card is in.
I've copied the US directory structure to another SD card and the looping happens also.

There is just enough room to copy the "2Gb" US map structure (it's actually about 1.25Gb) onto the internal drive and I've tried that. Again, the 720 loops.

Is just copying the whole folder directly using my Mac file-manager (Not using HOME) the way to do it?

ALso, just thinking about it now, 1.25Gb for the American2Gb Map does seem rather smaller than I might have expected? And there are other bits and pieces in that structure too.

I wonder if I'm missing some files. Is there a way of checking what I should have in that Map folder.

I've attached an image of the top level directory structure if that gives any clues???

much thanks

Last edited:
Use Explorer to delete the mapsettings.cfg file from the USA map on the card. You'll lose favourites, recent destinations, etc but it may stop the looping.

Here is a second go at the screenshot of the structure...

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-12-31 at 18.10.01_2.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-12-31 at 18.10.01_2.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 372
Use Explorer to delete the mapsettings.cfg file from the USA map on the card. You'll lose favourites, recent destinations, etc but it may stop the looping.

Hi DHN

Already tried that trick several times after trawling the forum and spotting that tip :-( Didn't help :confused:

Are you using a sd or a sdhc card. It should be the latter and the faster the speed (class 6 or higher). Also, although the model can handle up to a 32 gig sdhc card, that's overkill. but a 4 gig is the minimum you should try.

Are you using a sd or a sdhc card. It should be the latter and the faster the speed (class 6 or higher). Also, although the model can handle up to a 32 gig sdhc card, that's overkill. but a 4 gig is the minimum you should try.
Both the original and the new one I tried are 2GB SD cards, NOT SDHC. I've got a 16G SDHC in my video-camera, I might do a swap over and give that a go.

But after a beer! Happy New Year to all.

Ask a Question