GO720 doesn't recognise memory card

Hi,
I put in a memory card of 4 G. in my GO720. When I connect the dvice to the computer then I can see the card as a removable disk.
But when I try to load a map on I get on the screen of the Tomtom device a little animation which I interpret as memory card not loaded. Is it maybe possible that the card is wrongly formated. How should the card be formated?
Kind regards,
Rudy

That model uses a sdhc card, not a sd card. Also, the faster the speed the better (class 6+). finally, a reliable brand, not the junk you find on ebay.

Hi,
I put in a memory card of 4 G. in my GO720. When I connect the dvice to the computer then I can see the card as a removable disk.
But when I try to load a map on I get on the screen of the Tomtom device a little animation which I interpret as memory card not loaded. Is it maybe possible that the card is wrongly formated. How should the card be formated?
Kind regards,
Rudy
FAT32 format. Your 720 will handle SDHC cards of >=4GB only if your 720's firmware is at least 8.302. Prior to that, they could handle only 2GB SD or smaller. The last release level was 8.351.

As dhn says, stick with Class 6. Should be easy to get inexpensively.

Oh, THAT chart.....The one saying they've tested that model up to 4 gb micro sd card. :censored:

Yeah... "with the full size adapter" - so that's OK.

Or are you complaining they called it a "micro SD" rather than a "micro SDHC"?

When they first came out all micro cards tended to get called "Micro SD" even though they were HD.

Correct that one heading and the chart is correct AFAIK.

Anyway... we digress...
The OP says it was a 4GB card, so it's 99% certain it's an HD card anyway.
What we need to know is what brand it is, what speed, what format, and whether it's likely to be a fake.

Last edited:
Thank you guys,
The card I have is a Kingston Technology card, SDHC 4, SD4/4GB .
I bought it in a regular store, and asked for a fast card.
So I think the card should be OK.
By the way I am one step further. Now TOMTOM Home recognises the card and has loaded the maps and all and everything but my TOMTOM GO720 still doesn't.
I have tried to restore my old maps on the device without the memory card. Unfortunately that is not possible anymore.
When I connect the device to the computer it looks like the memory is completely gone. And TOMTOM home says that the device is not connected.
Anymore good ideas?
Kind regards,
Rudy

Borrow another card from somewhere? - just to try?

You won't need to delete anything from it just to see if it is recognised and writeable to.

BTW, the shop were a bit naughty... A class 4 card is not that fast. Class 6 minimum is recommended for the TomTom models.

Ask a Question