go720 and the blinking red x

i attempted to update my tomtom for the first time today because i am using it when i drive across the country in the next few days. i updated and installed a new map. i also installed the new homer simpson voice. when i ejected the device and it told me that it was okay to unplug, a blinking red x appeared. after being on the phone with customer service for 2 hours she finally told me to read an email and follow the steps. i knew she just wanted to get rid of my bc the call center was closing soon. when that didn't work i called back an a different tech told me to go here, TomTom, portable GPS car navigation systems - Support home - Select your product, and follow the prompts and quickly got rid of me because the call center was closing. when that didn't work the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th...you get it...time i am getting very anxious because i need this for my move. a funny thing that also occured was when i was installing a map I was not aware that it was one that I had to pay for. It downloaded the map just fine, minus a few MB's. The operator was puzzled by this, but didn't really do anyting about it. I don't know if that could be part of the issue also.

HELP!

First of all do you have a full backup of the device from prior to the device "upgrade" taking place? - if so re-install that to get the device working again, then we can look at whats needed to update the device and in which order things need to be done.
All map updates are paid for, only the first map update with a new device made within 28 days of purchase is a freebie, my guess is your device isn't less than 4 weeks old.

1/ Re-Install back up
2/ Report back which software and map versions are on the device (Tap the sat strength meter followed by the version box to get all this information)

Don't worry about the stuff you have purchased as it will stay current on your account and you can re-download it again at any time over the next 12 months - Mike

mike,

thanks for your reply. i do not have a back up available. I have had my device for almost 2 years and this was the first time i had ever attempted to update it.

when i downloaded the map, I did not know it was map that was supposed to be paid for. The customer service at TomTom was puzzled as to why it downloaded at all.

Did you pay for the map upgrade?

If not, then the map erroneously downloaded from HOME probably didn't properly activate. You'd have to pay for the map to get a working download, or otherwise restore from a backup (which won't work for you since you didn't make one). You could try to talk Tomtom phone support (earlier in the day) into giving you a really old map. Sometimes they are feeling generous and provide really old map for free to get things working.

If you did pay for the map upgrade, go to manage my device, and remove the map from the Tomtom and from your computer. Then go to "add maps" in HOME, and it should give you the option to download your map again for free.

Ask a Question