Dumb question re. speed cameras

TomTom Model(s)
XXL IQ routes
I'm new to this forum so I apologise in advance if this is a bit stupid but-
I live in Uk and next month I'm driving in France. It is a legal requirement to disable speed camera detection equipment whilst driving there, failure to do so can lead to a heavy fine. I have a TomTomXXL IQ routes and contacted their technical support team and got the following advice:

1- Start TomTom HOME then click Manage my device.

2- Select the Items on device tab.

3- Click the plus sign for Applications, tick the Speed Camera application for France , click Remove items from device and click OK to confirm.

I don't have the speed camera application for France (or anywhere) showing - all I have is
TomTom application for TomTomXL IQroutes edition S/XL IQ routes EditionS/XL Live IQ routes editionS/TomTom Start/TomTom Ease/One IQ routes edition/ One IQ Routes Edition S/TomTom XL/TomTomXXL/TomTomXXL Classic series/TomTomXXL 530S/TomTom

I got back to them and was told, fine, you don't have to do anything as you've not got speed camera detection for France. Is this correct? Tomtom doesn't have any other speed camera detection system does it? Again, sorry if the question is dumb but I don't want a hefty fine.
Thanks
Peter

If you go to "Sevices" in the TomTom's own main menu (or "Live Services" if your XXL IQ is a LIVE-capable model), do you not get an item called "Speed cameras" or "safety cameras"?

If you do, and I think you should, then you do have the speed camera system on your device.

That's not the same as having the actual French cameras listed, which is what the Gendarmes will be looking for.

But anyway, there was a recent software update for most modern units that allows the TomTom to alert to somewhat randomised "Danger zones" which is apparently legal.

The new Danger zone data is only available if you have a current subscription for the speed camera warnings, but all devices usually came with a "one-time" trial of the service, so if you had the camera warnings previously then Home should have provided an update to remove them.

If you connect to Home and select Update my XXL what (if anything) do you get offered?

Thank you for your reply Andy.

If I search for updates on TomTom Home, I am offered:
Speed cameras France,
Premium speed cameras France

and mapshare western europe and quickGPSfix which I thought I'd already installed-

OH- I've just been browsing through "Items on my device" and found "Safety cam Fr premium, 0.2Mb," under points of interest. Should I remove this? (there are also safety cam entries for other european countries)

In answer to your first question, on my XXL I have a "Tomtom services" icon, and this leads to speed camera icon. This just tells me I can download speed camera locations via TomTom home, but then just has an OK button which leads nowhere.

Again, thank you for your interest
Peter

So long as you download the update offered by Home, then you should have the legal "Danger zones" warnings instead.

See Speed Camera service: Changes to the law in France

New Danger Zones service in France
What do I need to do?
If you have a device that is supported, you need to connect your navigation device to TomTom HOME or MyTomTom and do the following:
  • Download the new update that activates French Danger Zones on your navigation device. [ show me how... ]
  • Download the one-time free download of a French Danger Zones file. This is for everyone even if you don’t have a subscription to the Speed Camera service. [ show me how... ]
In typical TomTom style though... the update from Home still calls them "Speed cameras" :eek:

Ask a Question