downgrading from 9 to 8

TomTom Model(s)
GO910, GO520
I have updated my GO520 to the latest navcore via Home, and the latest Uk and ROI maps, I am now regretting updating,
I don't like the look and feel of 9 one bit, I don't like the new Status Bar at the bottom, I don't like the way the software stutters before spoken instructions, I also don't like the fact you can't change the volume on line out as I often use my earphones, this is now not a option.
I have tried downgrading to 8 from a back up that was made on Home and I have managed to install 8 but I keep having the error message No Maps Found, but when I look what's on the unit in explorer it shows the maps folder there.
I don't know what else to try, I don't want to keep trying things when I don't really know what I'm doing for fear of breaking my Tomtom.
I'm not too sure what I am doing wrong but if anyone else knows or has had the same problem help would be much appreciated,
Thanks! Ashley :)

Last edited:
Home will have a nasty habit of trying to force you to update your firmware in any case. It can be fooled, but not simply.

What would (have) help(ed) is if you had a full backup of your unit prior to starting the current round of modifications. Of interest - you do have a copy of your older firmware, but do you have a backup of the full unit? If so, that will simplify things a great deal. HOWEVER, it may still not be possible to revert all the way back to 8. Version 9 came with a new bootloader that may or may not still be compatible with the old 8 code, and there's no tidy way to 'undo' a bootloader update once it has occurred.

Home will have a nasty habit of trying to force you to update your firmware in any case. It can be fooled, but not simply.

What would (have) help(ed) is if you had a full backup of your unit prior to starting the current round of modifications. Of interest - you do have a copy of your older firmware, but do you have a backup of the full unit? If so, that will simplify things a great deal. HOWEVER, it may still not be possible to revert all the way back to 8. Version 9 came with a new bootloader that may or may not still be compatible with the old 8 code, and there's no tidy way to 'undo' a bootloader update once it has occurred.

Ah I see! I have a copy of the old firmware that was saved by Home must have been when I upgraded from 7 or something, I found this in My Documents, TomTom, Downloads and then I found it in there, thats what I have been trying to overwrite 9 with.

Yes, that's no doubt what you are finding. That folder (specifically, in Download\complete\program) is where all firmware updates land before installation on the device.

Let's see if we can sort this. Since you have found the older version, can you identify from the first 4 digits WHICH versions of 8 and 9 you have there? We'll operate on the assumption that the largest 8XXX number represents what you were running before the update, and that the latest 9XXX number represents whatever it is that was the most recent update.

Also - back to previous question. Did you ever make a full backup of your unit before the update, either using Home or copying it to your PC manually?

Hi I have had a look on Home and have had a look on the Device itself,
The Current version of Navcore I have is 9.510 and have United Kingdom & Republic Of Ireland Maps v910.4892 and the previous version I am trying to downgrade to is 8.531.
I don't honestly think I have backed up prior to updating to 9.510 as I never really used to plug my TomTom into the computer all that much if I am honest.
Thanks for the help, Ashley

Beware that older software cannot read current maps. That may be the cause of the no maps found issue.

Ok, The maps I have at the minute are up to date and do include ALG & IQ Routes, I seam to remember them being avalible in 8.531 am I right? Or dosn't that make a difference?
Please recheck the content of the folder I mentioned before. 8.531 isn't a valid number. I suspect you're thinking of 8.351.

@mvl
Didn't 8.351 support IQRoutes, etc.? Seems it did. In fact, seems we have one user around here somewhere with your initials that stuck with that code for quite a long time when he was still using a Nav2 device :lol:

There was a reduced IQroutes (no day-of-week granularity) that app 8.0 could read. It could not read the enhanced (day-of-week/time-of-day) maps that I think started at map 815.

To read these enhanced maps you needed app 8.3 or later.

Then recently, (I think map 905 or 910) Tomtom upgraded to a new generation of maps that support alphanumeric house numbers. I think you need app 9.x or later to read these new maps. Hopefully Arno can confirm, because I'm not 100% sure.

Unless mvl pops up and has a definitive answer, it will take me just a little bit to research which builds may have included a new bootloader that would preclude backing up to 8.351. I'm about to pick up a graveyard shift, and my schedule is going to get very goofy for a bit.

Ah would be intresting to know! I mean if it comes to it & my new maps are not compatible with NC8 then I suppose I am going to have to admit defeat!
But thanks again! I am not going to try anything else at the minute myself because I can see it all going wrong!!

Connect your unit and let Home fire up, but ignore it (just minimize it to get it out of your way).

Before you do anything else, we need to be SURE you have a current backup of your system. Please follow these instructions to do so: Link >>> https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html

Be certain that you have been successful with that before moving on to the next step.

Then, download the 8.351 code at this link >>> http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.351.gox20.CAB-navcore-GO.cab

A *.cab file is nothing more than a *.zip file with a different extension. Using your favorite archiving program, unpack the *.cab contents into the root of your GO 520. Be certain that your archiver is set up to retain any folders as it unpacks.

After that, restore Home to your screen and disconnect your 520 correctly using the Disconnect device option of Home.

Perform a reset on your 520 by pressing the tiny reset button (gently) on the bottom of the unit (you'll see "Reset" by the hole) and power your unit up.

Does it function?

Then recently, (I think map 905 or 910) Tomtom upgraded to a new generation of maps that support alphanumeric house numbers. I think you need app 9.x or later to read these new maps. Hopefully Arno can confirm, because I'm not 100% sure.
I was on 8.302 last May and everything got screwed up when I downloaded map 895.
In another thread someone pointed out that I HAD to install 8.351 which then immediately upgraded to 9.430 (?; definitely a 9.xxx) and the map became readable.

I think Andy_P kept monitoring the alphanumeric address input.

Yes, the user will forever be forced to deal with Home trying to update the firmware again unless/until we advise of the tweak that attempt to fool it into thinking it has a much later version then even exists.

Hey have been away on Holiday but yes I think your right its deffinately a problem with the map it will let me install 8 but when I turn it on I get the same message "No Maps Found"!
I suppose I'll have to just put up with it, really annoying though I sort of wish I would of just stuck with my 910, seams allot smother and instructions seam allot louder.

Ask a Question