Connecting USB disables wireless wifi network!

OK, will do

Tom - since most people are successful, might not help all that much to check the NIC details, but I really would be interested to know whose app/UI (and version, if you have one) you are using to control your WiFi connections. Might help me weed out some possibilities.
I will not be able to get to it until tomorrow, but will do so then.

Any interest in the details of the Verizon router that is supplying the connection?

With best wishes,
- Tom -

No, not any real interest in the wireless host devices. The problem continues to sound like it's solely on the PC end - for now at least.

So I suppose one place to start is the NIC configuration to be absolutely sure that the PC doesn't think we're in 'bridge' mode.

Right click "My Network Places" and select "Properties"
Plug in the TomTom (and watch the WiFi LAN icon develop a red X, I assume)
Your TomTom LAN icon will appear as "Local Connection x" (some number)
Right click the TomTom's LAN "Local Area Connection x" icon
ATTEMPT to select "Bridge Connections" (but if it allows, don't do it!)
You should get an error during that attempt!

The interface in Windows 7 has a number of differences from that of XP, but it did show the TT as an unidentified public network with "Local Area Connection 2" and identified that this item had No Internet Access.

Again, right click on the LAN icon for your TomTom
Select "Status"
Select the "Support" tab
What do you see there for the IP Address and Subnet Mask fields?
It should be reporting back 169.254.255.2 and 255.255.255.252
Click on the "Close" button

Those are the values shown on my netbook.

Now, let's look at the specifics of the WiFi connection (even though dead)
Please right click on the WiFi LAN icon
Select "Properties"
Above, you will see "Connect using..:" box with a "Configure" button to the right
Click on the "Configure" button
Click on the "Advanced" tab
Slide down to the "Radio On/Off" item. What "Value" appears in the upper right? Should be "On"
Click the "Cancel" button

There was no "Radio On/Off" in the Advanced tab. The "Properties" button produced a dialog box that included "This connection uses the following items:" and a window that includes 7 items. The top item on that list is "Client for Microsoft Networks".

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Appreciate that -et-. Was mostly asking those questions of the OP to assure the baseline configuration made sense. Now back to you with that other question ... are you using a native Windows manager for your WiFi connection or that provided by the WiFi device or computer manufacturer? If the former, which version, and if the latter, the manufacturer and version begins my 'collection'.

I have the same problem as the person who initiated this long discussion. Same pc and TomTom device.
Having read through all 5 pages on comments I am disappointed that there is a clear cut solution.

The moderator is right in saying that the TomTom is a server in its own right. The only trouble is in doing so it knocks my BT home hub out totally. Its nothing to do with wireless whatever! Hard wiring does not solve the situation.

I have two TomTom programmes, My TomTom and TomTom Home.

When connected to my laptop, the BT Hub is knocked out cold. The device sets up its own connection, calling itself 'TomTom'. Tom Tom Home does not work as my device cannot be found. However, My Tom Tom is able to connect up and update successfully.

Disabling connection TomTom brings the BT Hub back to life but then both My TomTom and Tom Tom Home cannot work.

On my Go Live 1005 device, the situation seem to be caused by the Network under settings and connections.

I am a builder so excuse my lack of IT vocab but please dig deeper for a solution for us all.

Regards

The 1005 model requires MyTomTom, not Home 2.

Check back later as moderator canderson may have a solution or, at least, some suggestions, for you.

I'm going to be out most of the day, dhn, but one item to clarify first.

BT = British Telecom, right? Not Bluetooth of some sort of another?

Fixed wifi disconnecting issue

My internal wireless would go offline whenever I connected my GPS device. Finally found the issue. Hopefully this will help someone else. My wireless card was set to disable itself when a wired connection was established.

This is on Windows 7, and for a dell internal wireless card. Steps 1-4 should be the same for any wireless card on windows 7. They should be similar for other versions of windows (I've never used Windows 8, though). After step 4, the property names might be different for other wireless cards. It is also possible that the settings mentioned can be modified through a more accessible interface for other wireless adapters.

1. Right click the network adapter in your task bar and select "Open network and sharing center"

2. Click "Change adapter settings" on the left side of the Network and Sharing Center

3. Right click your wireless adapter and go to "Properties"

4. In the networking tab, click "Configure"

5. Go to the Advanced tab and find "Disable upon wired connect" - make sure it is set to "disabled"

(Dope slapping self). Of course. Since, due to the USB/TCP bridge driver, the TomTom appears to the system as another NIC card, it's the same (to the OS) as if you plugged the PC into a hardwired network. MANY thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious to some of us, but wasn't!

Hope this helps some of the folks who were having the WiFi issues.

One to remember for the future, methinks! :)

But I'm surprised this hasn't cropped up FAR more often on the forums

It does from time to time, Andy, but agreed that it isn't as often as one might expect.

Question is, what is the default setting for Win7 networking in this regard? I understand the attempt to avoid wireless if a wired connection is available in most instances, but do new PCs with Win7 usually start with this feature enabled or disabled, and if one installs Win7 over a previous version on an existing box, which way does it flip then?

That tab is a custom wifi adapter property tab, the options are whatever the device driver writer wants to put there.

Since many network cards won't have those settings, I"m not surprised that this comes up so infrequently. My laptop's wifi card doesn't have this setting.

Ask a Question