Can you copyright POI's?

I have seen many places where you can download POI's many of them are free sites, it usually has some form of copyright message. Can people actually copyright information such as a location? What if I download a POI file then add or amend data in that POI file does that constitute infringement of copyright or does it become my property if I modify the data?

One of the reasons I am asking is that a site I used to belong to has now started charging a subscription, data was put on the site by other members, somebody on the site created a set of POI's for the different satnavs & made this available for all members at the time.

Personally I don't agree with somebody trying to own information such as this when it was just collected from various sources or even if the data was all their own work.

Are they charging for the data itself or for the large amount of work they have put into assembling the data?

You are posting in a thread that is 5 years old, oldun. Doubt you'll get an answer.

Ask a Question