Can I "retrain" my TTOneXL?

TomTom Model(s)
ONE XL
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and hope you can help me with a small thing that is bugging me about my TTONEXL.

So far, I'm thrilled at how easy it is to use and I've managed to add my HOME as a favorite, etc.

Here's the problem: I live on a street that has two exits. If you leave my home to Exit A, you go a long, awkward route with many stop signs before you get to to the main road. If you leave through Exit B, it's shorter and fewer stop signs. Exit B is a MUCH better route to go and it's SHORTER.

The TT automatically directs me through the longer route. Not sure why that is happening, but is there anyway to set a preference so that it goes out the other way?

Okay, okay, I know this is a dumb thing to worry about. I just NAVIGATE to where I want to go, and leave the way I want to leave and the TT adjusts itself until it catches up to where I am and adjusts the route, so no harm is done, but if there's a way to set the preference, I'd like to do it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

LL

GPS nav units don't know where the stop lights and stop signs are. All they can do is connect the dots in a rudimentary sort of way. In areas you are familiar with you will be able to pick better routes than the TT. In an area you don't know the TT will get you where you want to be. Eventually.

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and hope you can help me with a small thing that is bugging me about my TTONEXL.

So far, I'm thrilled at how easy it is to use and I've managed to add my HOME as a favorite, etc.

Here's the problem: I live on a street that has two exits. If you leave my home to Exit A, you go a long, awkward route with many stop signs before you get to to the main road. If you leave through Exit B, it's shorter and fewer stop signs. Exit B is a MUCH better route to go and it's SHORTER.

The TT automatically directs me through the longer route. Not sure why that is happening, but is there anyway to set a preference so that it goes out the other way?

Okay, okay, I know this is a dumb thing to worry about. I just NAVIGATE to where I want to go, and leave the way I want to leave and the TT adjusts itself until it catches up to where I am and adjusts the route, so no harm is done, but if there's a way to set the preference, I'd like to do it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

LL

Only options you really have to FORCE the TomTom to use Exit B is to either use the "NAVIGATE VIA.." button to force a path by Exit B or use the "ITINERARY PLANNING" feature to map the entire route.

Only issue with Itinerary Planning is that it is a route to ONE destination and only that ONE destination. If you want the TomTom to always use Exit B for ANY of your planned routes from home, then the only option is NAVIGATE VIA which you'll have to select every time you creat a NAVIGATE TO itinerary.

Or you can just head the way you want it'll recalculate the route for you once you make the change.

Or you can just head the way you want it'll recalculate the route for you once you make the change.

I think this is the easiest route - just let it recalculate until it catches up to where I am. I tried all sorts of things to force it - navigate to, itinerary, avoid road block, and you wouldn't believe what it did.. all sorts of configurations. I even tried to force it to go the other direction by telling it to go to # 46 Mystreet (two doors down from me) and it STILL gave me a convoluted route that went through all sorts of side streets to get there.

I have a theory that it "points your car" in a certain direction and makes you drive in that direction, rather than just making a U-turn. *LOL*

LL

For interests sake ...

a) is it "thinking" that you are continuing driving the same way as when you got home? Try coming home from the other direction and see if that affects which way it sends you.

b) is it giving you a right turn out of your driveway instead of a left turn? try setting your "home" location as though it is on the other side of the street.

I am interested in finding what logic is being used :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theo972

Latest Threads

Back