Buying TomTom maps

Hey all,

I just picked up a tomtom go 3rd edition on ebay. Anyways, I'm stationed overseas with the US forces.

I'm trying to buy the western europe map off tomtom home and the tomtom website and both are giving me errors.

The website gives me an error which I would expect if I had no money in my bank account, and tomtom home says "error contacting server:error contacting server. Your purchase could not be authorized"

Bank accounts are fine. 150% sure there is enough money in them. The only problems I can think of are

1) Cards are US Address (military boxes.. APO, AE) and I have a foreign IP address

or

2) Server is down

Does anyone have any experience with this or know if the server is down?

Chris

Hey all,

I just picked up a tomtom go 3rd edition on ebay. Anyways, I'm stationed overseas with the US forces.

I'm trying to buy the western europe map off tomtom home and the tomtom website and both are giving me errors.

The website gives me an error which I would expect if I had no money in my bank account, and tomtom home says "error contacting server:error contacting server. Your purchase could not be authorized"

Bank accounts are fine. 150% sure there is enough money in them. The only problems I can think of are

1) Cards are US Address (military boxes.. APO, AE) and I have a foreign IP address

or

2) Server is down

Does anyone have any experience with this or know if the server is down?

Chris
Chris.....try this:

Select UK as the country. When it requests an address, many Americans provide the address of the US Embassy in London. See if you can get the map that way.

Now I'm getting a server error before even getting to check out to enter my credit card details.

I'm stationed in Holland, so I'm assuming I would try entering the Dutch embassy info?

See if you can get a local address to use to see if that clears up the roadblock. An off-base military housing address for instance.

If not, since you are in Holland, you might try contacting the TomTom main office and see if they can send you a DVD version. They are only offering downloads online, so if they will not send a DVD, they might be able to suggest a way around your problem.

I established a VPN to a server in the United States and purchased the map.

(I called my mom and had her buy it with my credit card by giving her all the info over the phone)

Don't forget, before you download and install it, to make a complete backup of your device as-is. Then also copy the current map (and application back) to your computer through TomTom Home.

Since your device has limited memory (and I believe - no SD slot), it will have to remove your existing map as it install the new one, so you want to be sure you can access and install it (I am assuming it is US/Canada) when you get back.

Ask a Question