Bad Experience with Tom Tom

TomTom Model(s)
XL
I am totally disappointed with the Tom Tom brand Why:-
My first XL purchased 2 years ago worked perfect until one month past warranty and went blank, memory failed, repair $150 to inspect + parts. I can get a new unit cheaper.

So as I was used to the unit I purchased another. Out of the box the new XL would not turn on. Returned it the same day and had a replacement. That was in February this year. Appears as if the battery has failed on this XL, now it will not hold a charge, but does work only when connected to computer or car power.

My camera is a much better design, plug in memory micro SD REPLACEABLE battery plug in also REPLACEABLE
So I shall send my unit back via the purchase store wait while the rest of the warranty gets eaten up and start saving for some other unit that is more likely to last.

Unless I can pick one up for what it is actually worth as a throw away I shall move on. I realise some may be more fortunate but read the problems people are having. Not a good recommendation for what could be a good concept. I guess planes do not use Tom Tom devices built in otherwise there would be problems.

I am a pensioner and as I expect the thoughts of the powers to be could not give a fig it is the first nail in Tom Toms coffin, disappoint enough by bad products and close shop.
Way to go Tom Tom.

Sadly, both TomTom and Garmin design their automotive devices without any thought to need for consumer battery replacement. However, we do have tutorials for several of the major lines of TomTom models that demonstrate how to replace the battery as a DIY project.

Thanks for reply. Buyer beware I guess, My bad.I shall let my feet do the talking.Hmm! Once bitten twice shy. Should have listened to that myself. Oh well sadder but wiser now.

How about memory for my original XL 1gig that has failed. The computer recognises it but reports it cannot be formatted. Yes! tried the low format app. Even performed some Aboriginal bone pointing to no avail.
If I could get a schematic I could dig into it and have a go, nothing to loose on that.
I will start saving and checking out what else is out there. I had a shock when I checked out problems experienced. My bad, should have checked the cons before buying. Certainly taught me a lesson

As long as the touch screen works, sell the non functioning one on the 'bay. It will bring $20. Use that and buy a working used one. I just sold a perfectly good XL 340S for $31 with all accessories (not what I had hoped to get). The main problem with buying off eBay is the provenance of the maps but you do have 45 days to return an item if you used Paypal.

I shall wait till my unit with the bad battery is repaired under warranty. Then I shall see what to do with the old one. A new one in OZ is $100 150 to repair, go figure.
I can get a new Garmin $140 new maps for life. I have seen one working and beats a Tom Tom same price for dead. Plus 3 years warranty. Jury is out on the next one.I guess it depends if the one in repair lasts a bit longer than warranty like my first. Still I may make one out of the bits eventually. Yes a bit cynical but why not.
Once a lemon always a lemon

I can get a new Garmin $140 new maps for life. I have seen one working and beats a Tom Tom same price for dead. Plus 3 years warranty. Jury is out on the next one.
If Garmin is such a sweet deal why even waste another breath on TomTom once the warranty repaired one fails.
My 930 is over 5 years old and the battery is down to 10 minutes.
How do I know? I tested it when the question came up somewhere else.
Not that I care at this stage as it sits in the charging cradle on the desk or connected to the always on CLA in the car when powered up.

Here is an update. Service in other country's maybe great but in Sydney it is crap. I put my XL in for warranty for a bad battery and was told it should take 2 weeks. I went back to the store and was told perhaps another week so I went to the store and told it may now be 4 or 5 weeks. So it looks like whoever Tom Tom gets to service units do not have the necessary ability to repair units. The store will not let me know who the repair people are. I shall give it another couple of weeks and then hand it over to the department of fair trade and let them sort it out.
It is a shame when they work they work well. BUT this is the third XL that has failed on me. first lasted 3 years and one month just out of aid extended warranty,The second would not work out of the box new. And this one worked well from Feb this year to a month ago when it would not retain a charge. So from where I stand how do you think Tom Tom seems to me. I have a lot of USB devices Cameras MP3 players, Min Video recorders, Web cams/Cameras and none have failed in years of use.
Anyway I have had my rant. I feel sorry for any others that have problems with these devices. I suppose those that have no problems are the lucky ones. You should Google its a real eye opener

Well I finally t got a outcome some 5 weeks after I put my XL in for warranty. Not from Tom Tom, Not from the service agency who is supposed to honor warranties. But this is Australia and the manager of the store I purchased the XL at being totally ashamed of the failure of the company assigned by Tom Tom to honor warranties is going to give me a new unit as a replacement as he has no idea what happened to mine. That is the Aussie commitment. If you cannot trust the supplier the common Aussie will always come through for you. Just as well I did not have to refer it to the office of fair trading.
Australia! what a country to live in and be a part of, everyone is a mate even if not born in the country it grows on yer. Off the boat today Dinki Die Aussie tomorrow. Funny thing when I put the device in and was told it would take a couple of weeks I was told they would take care of me and they will.

Tom Tom, great product shame about their ideals

Well an interesting outcome 6 weeks are now past and I am told the unit has been lost but as the XL is now discontinued I can have an exchange but for an extra $60 but I was offered a Garmin which I accepted after the Tom Tom fiasco. So I have just set up Garmin Express and straight away the latest maps downloaded. Maps for life was a good deal. So I have my working GPS unit. It is different to Tom Tom and I think I would prefer Tom Tom's setup. I got used to the voice. So now I have nothing to lose I shall have a go at replacing my first units memory with a micro sd card. I have a U tube account on how with connections so what the hell. Fix or bin.

I am not a cantankerous old bugger really but being a pensioner I do not have extra cash for what to us is a luxury. Gas for the car means more. Car! it is older than most on this forum. Still at least I shall not get lost now on my way to collect my pension. Plus I have a new toy so all angst is over. I I get my first XL working I will report back. Just imagine two, one of each, I can compare routes

So now I have nothing to lose I shall have a go at replacing my first units memory with a micro sd card. I have a U tube account on how with connections so what the hell. Fix or bin.
[ ... ]
If I get my first XL working I will report back. Just imagine two, one of each, I can compare routes
Who knows, there may be so many goodies in your new device you may grow to like it, overlooking some of the former 'comfortable shoe' feeling.
(After a year I started to get used to some of the goodies of Win7 over XP.)

In case there are lurkers with dead XL devices, who haven't had the heart to bin them yet, maybe you could make a reference to the YouTube for their benefit.

Anyway, always good to read a story about successful perseverance.

Cheers,
Arno

I can do better, with nothing to loose I dismantled my XL and with a powerful glass found the memory with some info from the internet. I found a bad connection and that was it. Reassembled it works a treat. As an aside both the XL and 52LM Garmin are basic devices and very comparable. Life long maps was a goody to get. Now a happy camper the wait was well worth it.

I found a bad connection and that was it

Well done! I would imagine that curing an internal memory problem needs some pretty fine soldering skills.

Just imagine two, one of each, I can compare routes

Thereby madness lies!

Once they start arguing, you feel you need a third one to get a majority opinion!

Once they start arguing, you feel you need a third one to get a majority opinion!
Hmm! They do talk, wonder if they would listen.

I did qualify in Electro Mechanical Engineering and did some TV repair so I have a very fine solder iron and a steady hand still. I believe the joint missed the solder bath as the joint was not good. That was one of the major faults I have found in electronic circuits being the cause of the stoppage or indirectly causing the problem. Although I must admit some components fail and do not let any one know about it. That take some tracking down.

I shall keep using the XL with the original map as hereabouts streets stay pretty much where they are created, new streets connect to old ones so as I got by with an old Gregory street map that was years out of date I can live with a street or two missing or a junction now as a roundabout.

Iam impressed with the store I bought my XL at as the Garmin they replaced it is first class and with maps for life I do have all the streets. I would be lost without my GPS :rolleyes:

Ask a Question