Australian in Germany - Newby

TomTom Model(s)
GO730T
Firstly, Big hi there to all other Forum members. what a magic forum.
I have just used my latest map guarantee on TT Home and was wondering why all my stored favourites have now vanished. Seems a bit odd but I guess they are recoverable from the backup I made if I just knew the folder they were stored in and which files I need to copy back over. Any ideas? Thanks :eek:

Your favourites are stored in a file, MapSettings.cfg, which resides in the specific map folder.

Unless you've upgraded your firmware to 8.3, you should be able to copy that file from the map folder in a backup and put it in the map folder on your unit.

If you have 8.3, I'm afraid the trick won't work as data in previous MapSettings.cfg files doesn't seem quite compatible with how it's stored using f/w 8.3; as a consequence, upon boot up, a new MapSettings.cfg file gets created in the map folder.

But, try the copying over of a backed up file.

Hey thanks dhn. Yes I have upgraded to 8.3. Luckily I only had 6 or so Faves so i will remake them. All the wiser next time. Thank you for the reply and yes I will post the question in the right Forum next time. Just getting used to the site. Thanks again. James :)

Many think it's better to create a custom poi category (call it something like '_Favourites'. You won't be limited to 48 entries like the Favourites have and you can simply copy the custom ov2 file to a new map when you upgrade and you'll have your 'favourites' again.

Hey thanks dhn. Yes I have upgraded to 8.3. Luckily I only had 6 or so Faves so i will remake them.
As dhn said, for some it works best to make custom POIs.
As you know, POIs are sorted as to distance from current location.
As you drive around, the locations and sorting order changes.
The programme Tyre keeps the address and coordinate location in separate registers. This allows a POI to be renamed for an easier search reference.
What I do is to put a name (person or place) and about five blank spaces in front of the address of that previously made POI. This gives a fast reference but still the proper street address, once in the vicinity.

Hey Arno and dhn again, just brilliant advice. I will sort out this .ovi file and then load them there. Very smart indeed. Greatly impressed and thank you. As I am only a newby it maybe sometime before I have any thing of worth to contribute to other members but given the lack of english support in Germany I sure am glad there are people like you out there who are prepared to assist. Most grateful indeed. Have a great week. :)

Ask a Question