Adding a custom icon

TomTom Model(s)
ONE v2
I used POI edit to change my favorites to a POI file, and I'm trying to change the icon that POI edit gave to my new Favorites POI file. I followed Birdman's instructions, and it didn't work. Has anyone done this? Birdman, you out there?:confused:

The .bmp MUST be named EXACTLY the same as the .ov2 file. In other words, Favourites.ov2 must be matched by Favourites.bmp. Something like favourites.bmp won't work. Nor will FAVOURITES.bmp. You get the idea...

Also, the bmp's must be 22 pixels x 22 pixels in size.

p.s. You didn't have to go across the pond to get info on poi edit to alter the mapsettings.cfg file.:p It's covered in threads here......

(We have eyes everywhere!!:cool: :cool: )

The .bmp MUST be named EXACTLY the same as the .ov2 file. In other words, Favourites.ov2 must be matched by Favourites.bmp. Something like favourites.bmp won't work. Nor will FAVOURITES.bmp. You get the idea...

Also, the bmp's must be 22 pixels x 22 pixels in size.

p.s. You didn't have to go across the pond to get info on poi edit to alter the mapsettings.cfg file.:p It's covered in threads here......

(We have eyes everywhere!!:cool: :cool: )
I resized it, and it's named exactly the same...across the pond? I got the tip from you!
OK, figured out the problem, had to save it as a bitmap file!

Last edited:
I resized it, and it's named exactly the same...across the pond? I got the tip from you!
OK, figured out the problem, had to save it as a bitmap file!

Excellent! Glad you got it to work. Don't forget that if you want a sharper LARGE icon to show in the menu of your most recently used, you can create a 44 x 44 image that has the same name only with _X2 added to the name.

For example:

POI NAME: friends.ov2
POI BMP: friends.bmp
LRG BMP: friends_X2.bmp

Excellent! Glad you got it to work. Don't forget that if you want a sharper LARGE icon to show in the menu of your most recently used, you can create a 44 x 44 image that has the same name only with _X2 added to the name.

For example:

POI NAME: friends.ov2
POI BMP: friends.bmp
LRG BMP: friends_X2.bmp
Hmm, thanks for the tip, I might have to try that!
It didn't work...oh well

Last edited:
You don't need to have the _X2.bmp file, it's optional.
If you don't have the big one, the small one will be stretched out.

You don't need to have the _X2.bmp file, it's optional.
If you don't have the big one, the small one will be stretched out.

My write-up in the link I gave above states this, but it is good that you made that clear in this thread.

As pianoCM mentions, the _X2.bmp is optional, but if you want a much clearer menu icon and warning icon, this bigger bmp will do the trick.

Taken from the link I have given above, here are some comparisons of what an icon will look like that does NOT have the _X2.bmp, and one that DOES use the _X2.bmp icon.

The image on the LEFT is with the standard size *.bmp and the image on the RIGHT is using the _X2.bmp and the POI icon in the MIDDLE of the screen on the bottom images automatically uses the *.bmp file:

cool22.gif
cool44.gif

Cool_warning_low.gif
Cool_warning_high.gif

Is this a recent feature? Yesterday, I downloaded the Desjardins POI and noticed, for the very 1st time, the presence of the X2 bitmap and thought there was a mistake...

Not new...been there since day 1. However, many POIs did not include the _X2 file......all depends on the supplier of the POI.

Ask a Question