yard is same to meter?

TomTom Model(s)
While I was testing on Japanese voice (kiyoshi) I found that the voice actually tells you the same distance for both yard and meter by just switching "yard" sound to "meter" sound at the end of voice guide. For example, it says "left turn 100m ahead" in km mode while saying "left turn 100yard ahead" in yard mode exactly at the same point of map. I think it might be the same for other voices (e.g Australia English) which provide voice switches between yard and meter. I know that 1 meter is 1.09 yard which does not make big difference and will not confuse you as much as feet does. somehow I still feel like it is kinds of cheating.

Last edited:
You are luckier than we Canucks as my GO 600, with compulsory English US but set for metric gives me distances like 800 metres, 400 metres, etc. which by the sherest of coincidences just happen to be 1/2 and 1/4 miles.

Since the device doesn't revert to yards/meters until you're close enough that the error doesn't matter when driving, they're treated similarly for distances.

Ask a Question