Xxl540tm

TomTom Model(s)
Rider V2, OneLE, XXL540TM
Hi All,

I've had my 540 for about 6 months and have only had a few issues. The issues lie with updating maps. Everything goes great when updating, the GPS updates, maps are good, catches a satellite link with normal efficiency, BUT... I cannot navigate to any POI's or addresses that are not in my favorites.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? I'm preparing to contact TomTom tomorrow morning to see if there is something that can be done.

I cannot remember what I did the last time, but I ended up getting it to work, but this time I was asking myself WHY would I keep messing around with it if I don't need to.

I've had great luck with my One LE and Rider2, but this one just gets under my nerves sometimes...

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Just to be clear - since what you described is the reverse of what happens to most people ...

You say you cannot navigate to a POI unless it IS IN your favorites, or you've found that all of your favorites disappeared after the map update, and now you can't navigate to them?

If the problem is TomTom POI files: Can you even see the TomTom POI categories and POI to navigate to it? Trying to figure out if your POI files are missing/bad or whether you've got some other problem where things fail just when you select one for navigation. In your map folder, do you see files called crpoi.dat and poi.dat? A fresh set of these should have accompanied your map update.

If the problem is your Favorites: What firmware are you running? The most recent is 9.053, and with that one, I believe your favorites should survive map updates. If you've still got 8.XXX, you'll either need to update your firmware or save a copy of the mapsettings.cfg file when you do map updates, and copy it back to your map folder when you're done.

Running 9.053 with 8.60 map.

My Favorites were there after upgrading (although I did save the mapsettings.cfg to my desktop before starting.)

Could not navigate to a "poi near me" or "address" this afternoon but was just able to do it while using Home.

Now I'm going to detach from the computer and try the same thing and see if it now works (which is what I think I did when I got the last map.)

Try clearing the "Recent Destinations", I had the same problem and it fixed it. I guess maybe one of my recent destinations doesn't exist in the new map and causes it to crash.

OK, I cleared recent destinations.

It seems to be operating fine now (It was before I did that too, but it may assist in the investigation process).

I'm unsure what to do... Do I call Support and report it as an issue, but now it's working fine or do I just live with it and at some point it doesn't clear when I update it and I'm SOL???

Thanks DHN, That's pretty much what I'm doing. I think it would be fruitless to call support when now it works no matter what troubles it puts me through after the update.

Maybe they know there is an issue and will make a new operating system build in the near future???

Ask a Question