XXL540m unable to download map again

New unit exchanged for other new unit, same problem.

Connects to computer TomTom Home starts, automatically downloads and attempts update.

Update fails, Repeat doesn't work not enough memory.

Using windows explorer "USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P-143.meta.dct" shows file size of 1k, Free space is only 800M.
Windows reports file structure is corrupt and unreadable.

Home backup failed, can copy all files using explorer except above meta file.

Windows Format fails, now device will not connect and is unusable.

Tried resetting device, power-off/on and other USB ports to no avail.

At this point I give up on tomtom, To get support takes 30-40 minutes of waiting, I have spent too many hours on 2 units tryin to resolve the issue.

You didn't, by any chance, take the time to make a backup BEFORE you started the updating process, did you?

Back up!

Unfortunately, the default on Home is to auto search and download updates, at first connect.
It would seem it should also autobackup or at least ask before charging ahead.
It also installed a new version of Home first over the one installed last week.

Unfortunately, the default on Home is to auto search and download updates, at first connect.
Actually, my experience is that it auto searches and recommends updates at first connect. I always tell it NO. I then take care of my backup (NOT using Home) and then go back and ask it to perform any necessary search and update. You'll find thread after thread here advising the same for one reason or another. Wish we had gotten to you sooner - you're not the only one that Home has abused with the insufficient memory warning, but we could have helped you out of that ditch.

As to the "will not connect", do you mean that you cannot see your unit as an external hard drive on your PC as is normal (e.g., under My Computer with Windows), or that the PC sees it but Home can't see your unit? The solutions are quite different based upon your answer.

No Drive

After attempting a reformat, after saving all files except the map meta file which was unreadable, "Windows was unable to complete the operation". After that neither windows nor home could see the device. Windows shows TomTom drive E: but shows it as 0 bytes.

After attempting a reformat, after saving all files except the map meta file which was unreadable, "Windows was unable to complete the operation". After that neither windows nor home could see the device. Windows shows TomTom drive E: but shows it as 0 bytes.
That wasn't, by any chance, a "Quick Format" operation, was it? If so, you'll need to deselect that and do the full reformat and reset the unit before making the connection attempt.

Not quick format

It was not a quick format, previous to format,I also did scan for bad sectors which ran without finding any, scan & repair for bad files, was unable to complete.

It was not a quick format, previous to format,I also did scan for bad sectors which ran without finding any, scan & repair for bad files, was unable to complete.
Unless the boot program in your TT is toast, it's beginning to sound like you aren't formatted for FAT32. Any chance it was reformatted as NTFS by mistake? The TT wouldn't know what to do with that.

Fat32

Format was FAT32.
My theory is since the TT appeared as 1.9G meg not 2.0G some of the flash is hidden, perhaps it holds the boot/comm program.
When windows does a format of the flash it first does a flash erase which then wipes out the communication program. If the windows driver was supposed to be a different one that did a flash sector by sector erase this would not happen, since I am running XP sp2 perhaps it is a driver issue.

Last edited:
Need help

Format was FAT32.
My theory is since the TT appeared as 1.9G meg not 2.0G some of the flash is hidden, perhaps it holds the boot/comm program.
When windows does a format of the flash it first does a flash erase which then wipes out the communication program. If the windows driver was supposed to be a different one that did a flash sector by sector erase this would not happen, since I am running XP sp2 perhaps it is a driver issue.

I am having this excat same issue with my tomtom XL 340 TM model... i was able to do a format, but afterwards, it still doesn't let me copy any files to the device. The device is also only showing about 1900 MB of free data space left. The map by itself is about 1600 MB. I've been working all night on this and have ran every trouble shooting tip i've fount on this site. I got pass the Red X, but overall-- i believe that the device is unable to copy files. I've had it for less than 12hrs and already i'm starting to hate tomtom.

The folks at TomTom have in at least this case taken best practices to heart and the real bootloader is inviolate when it comes to an external format attempt. Like anyone creating a reflashable device, they've protected real "bootloader" area with the drivers necessary to make the PnP USB connection and move data. It's the only thing that allows us to help some people recover their units at all. While it takes longer to regroup, it's always been a viable method of last resort.

Having participated in these forums for some time, I'm bothered that we're hearing from a couple of people who, after performing a full FAT32 format, are unable to get their devices to connect to their computers at all. The low level USB code that manages the connection to the computer and the ability to transfer files to a file structure should never be touched. Wish I could promise a quick solution to demorcy2, but that ain't gonna happen.

To demorcy2, here's hoping there's anything different about your case. When you plug your unit to your computer, is your device recognized as your TomTom as an "external drive" by your PC? That would indicate that the USB VID/PID and all of that are being transferred successfully and that there is indeed some low level code still working on your device. In short, what exactly are you seeing under "My Computer". Your TomTom or just a generic drive of some sort?

The folks at TomTom have in at least this case taken best practices to heart and the real bootloader is inviolate when it comes to an external format attempt. Like anyone creating a reflashable device, they've protected real "bootloader" area with the drivers necessary to make the PnP USB connection and move data. It's the only thing that allows us to help some people recover their units at all. While it takes longer to regroup, it's always been a viable method of last resort.

Having participated in these forums for some time, I'm bothered that we're hearing from a couple of people who, after performing a full FAT32 format, are unable to get their devices to connect to their computers at all. The low level USB code that manages the connection to the computer and the ability to transfer files to a file structure should never be touched. Wish I could promise a quick solution to demorcy2, but that ain't gonna happen.

To demorcy2, here's hoping there's anything different about your case. When you plug your unit to your computer, is your device recognized as your TomTom as an "external drive" by your PC? That would indicate that the USB VID/PID and all of that are being transferred successfully and that there is indeed some low level code still working on your device. In short, what exactly are you seeing under "My Computer". Your TomTom or just a generic drive of some sort?

its recognized as "Removeable Disk (E:)," so an external drive.

What should i do? should i return it and try to get a new one? -- i really need to leave in the next 4 hrs>

Given your time constraints, if you have time to swap it, I would do so. What we're looking at will likely take longer than that when we're done -- moreover, I have a can of garage floor epoxy paint just about ready to start to roll out (it's a big deal on timing with this stuff) and would have to leave you in a moment in any case.

If you have a time constraint, then exchange it for another unit and don't update anything before your trip.

Thread hijacked

It has happened to me on two units now, the other issue is no recovery was possible through TT Home, once the map meta file was corrupted through the failed update. Home should at least either auto back-up if none exits before attempting a 1.6g file update of a 1.9g total memory size, I am not sure if a even a back-up would work without a re-format, if communication is lost after start of format. Perhaps some flash chips allow a full chip erase even if some sectors are "protected". The fact remains that with my two units the exact same scenario played out, the update failed, the meta file directory structure was corrupted and incapable of being erased without a format and subsequent format could not complete because of no communication from the device. I too am leaving on a trip tomorrow and I am taking my wife's Garmin.

Last edited:

Ask a Question