XXL wte and Lifetime Maps

I'va had the XXL wte for over a week and really like it. However, I just entered the activation code for the lifetime maps and just discovered that it only provides lifetime updates for the North America maps and not the European maps.

Funny, the TomTom website from which I purchased the unit does not say that European lifetime maps are included. Isn't this a series case of being misled by TomTom - or false advertising at least.

Has anyone else found this problem?

Do I smell a CLA against TomTom?

Charlie

According to the following review the life-time map is only for US_Canada_Mexico.

Amazon.com: Profile For Raoul Picante: Reviews
The marketing information clearly implies that if you buy the "TM WTE" edition, you get lifteime updates for the maps included in the product, i.e., North America _and_ Europe. However, buried in the TomTom support files you'll find this hedge:

"Lifetime Map Updates cover the countries of the United States, Canada and Mexico. Updates are limited to the regions that are pre-installed on the device.

If your navigation device has maps of other countries, for example, Western Europe, these will not be updated through Lifetime Map Updates."

Really pretty cheesy, and makes me hesitate to buy what otherwise looks like a good-value product.

I purchased the WTE via TomTom's website. The sales page for the WTE makes no mention of the "limited" maps. It does refer the reader to TomTom/legal, but that page doesn't have any obvious link to lifetime maps.

The WTE packaging does state that lifetime maps will only work for for North America, but it seems a little like closing the barn door once the animals have fled!

Charlie

The WTE packaging does state that lifetime maps will only work for for North America, but it seems a little like closing the barn door once the animals have fled!

Charlie
Not having seen one - is that notice on the OUTSIDE or the INSIDE of the packaging? Yeah, no help when ordering online, but I'm curious as to exactly what people are seeing when they get one of these units.

I just watched a YouTube review of the XXL-540TM where the reviewer shows the outside of the box (see attached image below). On the box under the"'Lifetime maps and traffic" there's an added statement... "Maps of U.S. Canada and Mexico".

Link for review:
YouTube - Tom Tom XXL 540 TM: Part 1 (introduction)

Last edited:
I just watched a YouTube review of the XXL-540TM where the reviewer shows the outside of the box (see attached image below). On the box under the"'Lifetime maps and traffic" there's an added statement... "Maps of U.S. Canada and Mexico".

Link for review:
YouTube - Tom Tom XXL 540 TM: Part 1 (introduction)
That's the 540TM, not the 540WTE with both European and US maps, so there's no surprise there. Am looking for info specifically for the WTE packaging.

That's the 540TM, not the 540WTE with both European and US maps, so there's no surprise there. Am looking for info specifically for the WTE packaging.

Yes I too have been mislead when I purchased the 540TM WTE . When looking on the TomTom website it does not mention anything about not have lifetime maps for Europe. So one would assume that this was the case.

Anyhow when I received the box for my unit I did not notice until after I entered the code from the number inside the box. The outside of the box does state in "fine print" that the lifetime maps are for USA Canada and Mexico only.

Would have been nice to know this before I purchased the unit.

Vager

Ask a Question