XXL I/O Errors

TomTom Model(s)
XXL IQ Europe
I knew I should have left well alone, but on this damp and dreary day (in the UK) I decided to connect up my Classic XXL for the first time for 16 weeks in order to add some itn files via Tyre.

Anyway, Home told me there was an application upgrade and map corrections to download. I didn't want the system upgrade as I did not think I would like the new info panes at the bottom of the screen - but the check box for this was greyed out. I though OK - I've got plenty of (Explorer) back ups (3) so I could revert back to a previous system if necessary.

New system loaded OK, I updated my .itn using Tyre, and tried out the new system on the road - decided I didn't like it and tried to copy back from my previous full back-up, which is when my troubles started.

I now keep getting "Cannot complete operation because of I/O Device Error". I have made countless attempts from various back-up folders and I have tried copying folders in different sequences. I have run Clear Flash and chkdsk and eventually even formatted the drive, but I always end up with the I/O error at some point.

Is the memory kaput, or is there something (else) I can try?

Needless to say the device is completely us at the moment.

Del

Using the cable that came with the device? A USB port on the back of the computer, not the front??

Yes and yes.

In a set scenario, ie copying the files/folders in a given sequence, it always fails at the same point. Change the sequence, and it fails at a different point, but fails at the 'new' same point if I retry the same sequence.

Should also mention the device is but 5 months old, so still under warranty.

Del

Well, it appears you've tried all the things I would suggest. Someone wiser than I (not hard to find .. :( ) may pop in with more advice but, if not, you can always seek a RMA from TT

Very mysterious!!!

I thought I'd start from scratch again before I attempted to contact CS.

Formatted memory
run chkdsk
Connect to PC (XP +IE8)
Home downloads latest s/w and installs OK
Copied map from back-up and it all works.

The only possible difference is that the USB extension cable MAY be in a different port. I thought that I had lost a port, but it turned out to be one of the USB extension cables (not the cable I was using to connect the PND), so when I put everything back, all the usb devices and cables may not have gone back into the same ports on the back of the PC. All other devices and cables are working OK.

I don't like the new s/w, but bearing in mind that it was at this point that things started to go wrong yesterday, I wondered if I should try to revert back to a previous version. I decided to have a go, and successfully copied everything (apart from the map again) from the back-up.

So, apart from several hours of anguish, everything is OK - and I've even added the itineraries that I set out to do!!!

Del

Been following your agonizing journey with interest. Happily it's working satisfactorily for you with your last-ditch effort (never say die!).

Thanks for posting your success; hopefully you'll have continued good luck!

Thanks for the feedback.

If it's all working, make an Explorer backup, not Home, and carry on. Just remember to use the same port and cable as you are working with now.

... and only update on a Thursday! :thumb:

I swear, by Almighty God, that the evidence.........no, that end bits wrong!! But I swear I will never connect my XXL to a PC ever again.:mad:

Since the problems noted above, yesterday (YES - a thursday!!) I connected it to the PC, downloaded some mapshare corrections OK, then started to change/add to my itineraries. All went well for a few mins, then after saving the changes to one, I went to load another, and the device said there were no itineraries!! (I was using 'Operate my TomTom'.) I disconnected the device, and tried to access the itineries from the device, and couldn't (same message). From there it went rapidly downhill, with error messages coming thick and fast. By this time, the device would not start up, and the only way to get any life from it was to do a drum restart. I reconnected (with difficulty) to the PC, and started to copy files from a backup, only for it to fail on copying ttgo.bif, sayng the file (on the device) was corrupt. I tried several times to delete that file, but every time I did, it somehow managed to regenerate itself - always corruptly. I ended up renaming this file, then copying over ttgo.bif from backup.

At least, by this time, Home seemed to be able to do something without having an error, and copied down the latest version of the software. It all appeared to work OK, but if you have read the story above, you will know I do not like the new version (the info display panes), so I began to copy from a backup - which failed saying one of the files in Raster (on the device) was corrupt. Ironically enough, I managed to locate my updated itineraries and copied them away elsewhere. So another 4 hours or so 'wasted'.

So, back to fundamentals this morning - reformatted the memory 2 or 3 times, copied everything from a good backup, and hey presto, all is back working!! :thumb:

So, Thursdays in June are not the days to connect my XXL to a PC - I wonder what day I should use in July?? I don't think I'll bother.........

Del

Last edited:
That's what I have been using - I have never used Home's Backup/restore functions.

And with all due respect, why should a particular version of the software start to give errors just because there is a later version out?

I just wonder whether there is some kind of negative interaction between an earlier app and the recognition of a new map installed. Just guessing, really.

Another thing I might suggest is to run the Clear Flash tool (3 times). It is found here: http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6211/kw/clear%20flash

and is known to sometimes rectify things when strange problems take place, such as with your unit.

It may not help but won't hurt. (no settings get lost or changed). But be advised that user feedback is poor in that when you install the tool, that in itself causes it to run and do its job. So, essentially, you just select 'install' 3 times.

Thanks for the thought DHN, but that version of the s/w and that map version obviously operated OK for 3 months before the new application was released 4 weeks ago.

It looks like things are back to how they were (working) for the last month or so, and I have completed my itinerary changes off-line, and so for the moment, I'm gonna let things alone.

FWIW - I've never bothered using Home to move itineraries on or off any of my units. I just copy the files back and forth to the "itn" folder on the unit directly. My motto: "Why trust Home to do what you can do yourself?" :rant: Goes for backups, too. Good that you already worked that angle in your practices.

Funny thing is, I was only using Home (Operate My Device) as I had to make changes to some rather complicated itineraries, and I thought that it might be quicker to use Tyre rather than just the device - although I didn't use Tyre in the end. It was after saving an amended one that the thing started to fall apart.

Ask a Question