XXL hands on splash screen

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540 WTE, Via 1505, XXL TM
This is a weird one. I have a Tomtom 550 xxl GL series 2gb. Hangs on splash screen. I have done a deep format FAT 32, I have run the clear flash tool. The formatted drive Shows 1.91 GB in Explorer, which is correct. No errors found in a scan. no bad sectors. It can download the latest navcore 9.43 and it installs correctly. Shows in explorer it's taking up about 32mb in hdd space on the unit's drive which is correct. But it still hangs on booting. When I open "manage my device" in Home, Home sees the Navcore as only 13 mb. Is that correct? I have cleared out all the download folders in home. The computer sees the unit fine but Home tells me that it does not support "Operate my device" and that option is greyed out. This is a fresh install of Home. No other devices have been updated through it. I have done a reset numerous times. The drums play and I get the completed yellow progress bar. The unit tries to boot, the splash screen gets brighter, but it still hangs. About ready to part it out.

Try making an Explorer, not Home, backup. Then format the unit, don't use quickformat.

Restore the backup.

Any better?

That was the first thing I did but no go. I notice it does not create a Ttgo,bif file. It does create a tthome and ttsystem file. It appears the issue is not solvable because the boot is not hitting the HDD or at least the hdd is not responding correctly. Fortunately, the price of even non-functioning xxl units has risen to absurd levels $30-$40 so I am about ready to write this one off and box it up

Well, try this ............(I know you've probably done it before)

AFTER the Explorer backup, delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents. Connect to Home and install the application offered. Disconnect from Home using the Device Disconnect icon. Any better?

If not, use Explorer and delete the mapsettings.cfg file in the specific map folder. Reboot the unit. How about now?

If not, remove all mapshare corrections from the unit. Try now.

Appreciate the tips, but I have have taken all those steps, rerun clear flash, have deep formatted FAT32 twice, etc. The problem appears to be related to the inability of the unit to access the internal HDD, even though you can load files to it externally. Even with the maps copied off the unit and with a fresh Navcore - it should give me a no maps found prompt and it does not. I will let someone else worry about it and possibly fix it. Diminishing returns here for me. Thanks for the suggestions.

Update -- Decided to scrap 9.43 and reload 9.061 Navcore. The unit will now write a ttgo,bif file and is working fine through the emulator. Ran clear flash several times but it still hangs on the splash. Seems very repairable, just beyond my limited skills.

Update -- Decided to scrap 9.43 and reload 9.061 Navcore. The unit will now write a ttgo,bif file and is working fine through the emulator. Ran clear flash several times but it still hangs on the splash. Seems very repairable, just beyond my limited skills.

With your GPS hooked up to the computer and TomTom Home up and running, load and run one (1) itinerary trip using the emulator. After that, properly disconnect the GPS, reboot it, and see if it now works.

I believe the above routine worked for me on my 340, and can't say for certain the procedure, but is worth a try.

Or add/delete one favorite using the emulator.

Ask a Question