XXL 550TM Attach Traffic Cord and POI's Disappear

Hi - I'm new to this forum and just purchased a TomTom XXL 550 TM. I downloaded the major software change and have been quite pleased with the unit. However, I noticed one thing - when I connect my traffic/power cord in the car, the POI's disappear in Browse Map mode. Unplug the cord and they reappear.

I called TomTom support and at first was told that the traffic function uses a bit of memory and so you can have no more than 2 POI's selected. The problem occurs whether I have one or more POI's selected.

On my next call they had me reinstall the application - no change.

On my next call they had me run a disk check - no problem.

On my next call they had me reinstall the map - no change.

On my next call they had me reformat the unit - still the same.

Now they want to replace the unit - or in my case I can return to Costco where I purchased and get another one.

My question is whether anyone has had this problem or possibly is it the unit running out of memory? Maybe I should try unloading a few of the voices I don't use?

The other thing that happens when the POI's disappear is that the map changes color. What was green turns to white and what was tan color turns to mauve.

Any suggestions or does this sound like a defective unit and I should return it?

Thanks,
Larry

I'd return it for another unit. That behaviour you describe should not be taking place.

You did charge the battery for a few hours, did you not?

If so, and you still have that behaviour, then do a return.

I called TomTom support and at first was told that the traffic function uses a bit of memory and so you can have no more than 2 POI's selected.

Thats the first time i have heard that excuse and it sounds more like someone telling porkies at TomTom Customer Support to me (not the first time mind you). Pack the unit back for a refund and get anotherone as its clearly faulty from all the messing around you have had to do so far - Mike

Thanks for your responses. I did charge the battery fully, so I will be taking the unit back. I do like the unit so will get another one.

I may be able to get $30 back, as Costco.com is going to start offering them for $30 off starting the 16th, so their warehouses might too.

Okay - I returned my unit at Costco, got $30 back, and tried out my new unit....It's doing the same thing! I guess my question is, is this normal? This is what I see in browse map mode before I plug in the traffic antenna:

DSCF0477.jpg

This is only with one POI category, Gas Stations.

Here is what happens when I plug in the traffic antenna:

DSCF0478.jpg

Here is what happens when I unplug the traffic antenna:

DSCF0480.jpg

I can't have possibly bought 2 units with the same problem. So, is this a problem or is it just the way it works?

Thanks,
Larry

This is the way it works. Mine is same.

A different map traffic attribute is being used to show traffic. In regular map display (not browse mode) it will show no difference in POI's.

I figured it must be normal since both units did the same thing. I originally called TomTom because I wanted to know if it was normal, as it would be nice to look ahead on your route to see what gas station or restaurant was at the next exit. When the POI's disappear when hooked to the traffic antenna you lose that ability. It would be nice if there was a switch to turn the traffic on or off so you could see the POI's.

No Tomtom's allow you to show POI and traffic at the same time in "Browse map" view.

Since the option to choose which one you wanted to see was "removed" in EasyMenu, Tomtom basically chose the priority for you.

On EasyMenu devices, it prioritizes traffic over POI.

Last edited:
I spoke with TomTom customer support again today just to give them an update that the new unit does the same thing and it appears others units do so as well. They insist that it shouldn't do that but it's probably a bug they didn't fix, so maybe they will be able to issue an update in the future.

Even my 740 Live refuses to produce POIs and traffic concurrently when doing the "Browse Map" thing. At least I have the option on the 740 for shutting off the traffic so it will enable POIs. But traffic is always "on" by default, requiring the check boxes to be swapped. I'm guessing that your model doesn't have the menu that allows the traffic = off, POI = on when browsing the map.

TOMTOM traffic antenna

I went to Costco today and got me a tomtom 550tm and used it traffic cable usb charger. And I got traffic to work with my tomtom. Now going back to Costco and returning unit and buying cable online.

Ask a Question