XXL 550 problem updating

TomTom Model(s)
XXL550
I hooked the gps up and was told I had a required update. When it went to install to hard disk, it stopped and stated could not delete F:\bin\gprscomd I also get error writing
F:\data.chck

Now the gps will not work. When turned on, I only get a red X.

This gps has guaranteed lifetime updates.

If you have a full backup (everyone REALLY should have one), then do ANOTHER one for safety, then format the internal memory and restore the backup.

If not, then DO THAT BACKUP, then delete all the 'loose' files on the unit (the ones which are not in a folder) leaving all the folders alone. Then connect back to Home and a fresh update should beinstalled.

All of this and other troubleshooting tips are written out more fully in our Articles section, specifically in

How to BACKUP the contents of your unit to the computer (and how to RESTORE it!)
Old-style TomTom Acting Up? - Part 1 - First Steps In System Recovery
Old-style TomTom Acting Up? - Part 2 - How To reinstall *fresh* Software using Home

?
Say, Andy. Why would an XXL550 have a gprscomd file anyway? It's not a Live unit. I've been tied to closely to Live Nav2 hardware for so long ... is it normal that a non-Live unit have this to begin with? Just part of the 'standard' load in the root?

I've just looked back at a few backups, and my son's Go520 (non-LIVE) does have a 'gprscomd' file in a folder called bin. Same for my old Go720. But it does not exist on a ONE.

So I guess it is used for the hands-free phone connection.

@gbkr61, it would be useful to know if the "F" drive is a drive on your PC or the label it has given to the XXL internal storage.

Your 720 should have, since it was capable of using 'Plus Services' (the old tethered method of connection between your 720 and the Netherlands). Hands free phone services shouldn't use that file -- the file is for connection back to TomTom. There's other files related to the Bluetooth connection.

Anyway, not relevant to the OP's immediate problem, but I found it very odd that his unit would have anything to do with that file.

Ask a Question