XXL 540TM World Edition - Worth $50?

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 550-TM
I'm considering purchasing the XXL 540 TM World; it is $50 more than the NA unit and includes Europe.(current Amazon quotes)

Is this a good decision? Is this the best way to get Europe coverage?

TIA...Bill

It is a good model

BUT...................

Two things to keep in mind about the European maps........

1. The lifetime maps do NOT include Europe, just North America.

2. If you can use the Latest Map Guarantee for the Western_Europe map installed on the unit, you won't be able to install the complete map, it's gotten too large. So you will be offered European zones, such as Europe_West, Europe_North, etc. You select the zone or zones that will fit and if you need to switch to a different zoned map, you then do it via Home's Manage My Unit-->Device, Map, Europe_West (let's say) and you'll see a new linl that says 'change zones'.

Another option would be to look for one of the few GO 930 units still around in "new" condition where the LMG applies. They're scarce, though. The 930 has an SD card slot that will hold any size you can find, and will therefore hold the European map (and the US at the same time, if you do it like many of us do). The downside is that the 930 has been discontinued, and I wouldn't expect to see any new firmware upgrades for it, only new maps.

The 540 did not include an SD slot - and given the map size situation in Europe, that's unfortunate. You'd have thought that the folks back in Amsterdam would have seen the handwriting on the wall ref European map size on the WTE model.

They currently offer no "current" units in the U.S. market that will handle full U.S. and European maps together except the 740, and that requires buying the European map separately ($$$). They never offered the GO 940 (includes both U.S. and European maps) in the U.S. for some reason.

Very Helpful

>>Lifetime Maps available for the U.S., Canada, and Mexico only<<

I had overlooked the fine print on lifetime maps - thank you!

The Europe lifetime update was main feature that caused me to favor the 540 World over the Nuvi 1490 LTM.

Regards...Bill

Ask a Question