XXL 540M Test Drive - Where are the street names?

I just took my brand new TomTom XXL 540M out for a 30 minute test drive. It worked flawlessly except for two issues: (1) The voice never once used a street name. The only directions spoken were, "In 400 yards, turn right," etc. I thought this model came with street names. Is there a fix for this? (2) When I mounted the device on the dashboard, I could not see what was on the screen in the sunlight. It was completely washed out by the light. Is this common to all GPS units or just with TomTom's? Thanks.

OK, thanks. I switched to "Susan" and will see how that works out. Is there a list of Computer voices available? I downloaded a bunch of new voices earlier today but none of them have "Computer" written after their names, so I doubt that I will use them.

Susan (US English), Kate (UK English), Simon (UK English), Dave (US English).

Hi, I also obtained a 540 just last week, and had the same comment about screen glare. I addressed it by a) finding the screen contrast control and running it up to 100% for both day and night (I think the default was 20%), and b) selecting high contrast map colors.

Hi, I also obtained a 540 just last week, and had the same comment about screen glare. I addressed it by a) finding the screen contrast control and running it up to 100% for both day and night (I think the default was 20%), and b) selecting high contrast map colors.

Can you tell me how to find the contrast control for the screen? I looked everywhere on my device, but I could not find it. Thanks!

Can you tell me how to find the contrast control for the screen? I looked everywhere on my device, but I could not find it. Thanks!

Main menu / Change Preferences / Brightness Preferences (it's on page 5 for me)

Duh! Thanks! Mine was already at 80% but that still wasn't bright enough. Which high contrast map color are you using?

America and Asia. There are several available for download here and elsewhere as well that look nice, including a navigon set and a garmin set.

Ask a Question