XXL 540 vs XXL550

I currently own a Tom Tom One and I am considering purchasing a new GPS device. Because of the 5 inch screens, I am looking at the XXL 540xx and the XXL 550xx, where xx is TM or M. The reviews that I have read seem to favor the XXL 540 series. What is your opinion? Do these GPS units connect to the computer and Tom Tom Home as does my Tom Tom One for downloads and updates? I realize that the overall reviews are a little biased towards the negative. That is, if purchase sometime and it is not working as I think it should, I would more than likely write a bad review. But if everything works great, I may not write a review at all. :confused:

XXL550 is newer, faster, and more reliable. But Tomtom removed many features vs older models.

XXL540 is cheaper, and has more features than the XXL550.

Both connect to Tomtom HOME like your ONE does.

See a feature comparison here.

XXL550 is newer, faster, and more reliable. But Tomtom removed many features vs older models.

XXL540 is cheaper, and has more features than the XXL550.

Both connect to Tomtom HOME like your ONE does.

See a feature comparison here.

what do you mean "faster" and more "reliable"?

What changes have they made to make the 550 faster and more reliable?

The xxl550 has better tuned software. Menu navigation and map browsing are more responsive. It also has fewer bugs in the software. Also it has usb2 hardware for faster map transfers.

The xxl550 has better tuned software. Menu navigation and map browsing are more responsive. It also has fewer bugs in the software. Also it has usb2 hardware for faster map transfers.

The 550 will not allow you to plans multiple stops on a route. What other featrues are lacking from the 540?

Is the better software worth the loss of features, in your opinion?

Problem solved. I found the XXL 540TM on clearance for $95.
I stored the contents of the new GPS unit using TomTom Home and then updated with latest maps. Update took 2 hours. Only thing I go not like so far is that the voices speak in meters and not yards using any of the US English voices. Display is in miles.

BTW: You don't really want to do backups using HOME.

Home automatically deletes any previous backup (only has one at a time); and sometimes it is doing so much - that it screws up the backup.

You can read about this quite a bit on this Forum.

You can make an independent backup (and keep a few versions); by just using your PC. When you hook up the TT; don't start HOME, and just use explorer. The device is seen just like any storage device. And you can select and copy all files to a location of your choice...

Make sure your folder options is set to 'View all Files" etc. So that you do copy over ALL files....

D.

Problem solved. I found the XXL 540TM on clearance for $95.
I stored the contents of the new GPS unit using TomTom Home and then updated with latest maps. Update took 2 hours. Only thing I go not like so far is that the voices speak in meters and not yards using any of the US English voices. Display is in miles.

Wow, where did you find it for that price Jim?

Ask a Question