XXL 540 S freezes at start-up

I've got an XXL 540 S that freezes at the start-up screen. I've done several resets, run clear flash, even reformatted the memory and reinstalled from the windows backup I made when I first got it. It connects to TomTom HOME okay and will do updates. In fact, it just updated the application to version 9.061. Any suggestions? I'm running out of ideas.:confused:

So the freezing took place both prior to and after the installation of 9.061?

What is the map version you have on your unit? Tap the satellite bars and the next screen shows the version of the app (9.061, I presume).

Tap the version number and the following screen shows the map and its version.

This fixed my 540 problems

I connected my failing gps to home and then choose the option to "Operate my Device" Next time I tried the gps it all worked.

someone suggested this may have been related to corrupted MapSettings.cfg file. and operating using Home does some sort of reset. you can google for corrupt mapsettings.cfg to find more information about this issue.

Good Luck

The freezing started before I upgraded the application to 9.061. I was hoping that would fix the problem, but it didn't. The map version is 835.2419, which is the original map that cam with the unit. I'm unable to operate the device from TomTom HOME. When I try it says "You cannot use this feature because it is not supported by your device." Bottom line, this TomTom will not boot. I can download and install updates from HOME. but that's it. One day it worked and the next day it didn't. I'm three months past the one-year warranty, so if I can't get it to work it's into the trash bin.:(

I'm unable to operate the device from TomTom HOME.

In that case try this...

Connect the Go to the PC and use Windows Explorer to browse the TT's storage (it will appear in the list of disk drives in My Computer)

Find the map folder called whatever your map region is (Western Europe, North America or whatever).
Inside that will be the' MapSettings.cfg' file that you were unable to fix using Home.

Simply delete that MapSettings.cfg file, or better still - move it (not copy) to somewhere safe on your PC.

Now safely remove the TT from the PC using the icon in the system tray near the clock (you should ALWAYS do this before unplugging. Failing to do so MAY have caused the problem by corrupting a file)

Now unplug the USB and see if the Go will boot up OK.

If it does, it will automatically create a fresh new copy of Mapsettings.cfg. You will have lost a few personal preferences and settings, but with luck you'll have a working TomTom again.

Removing the "mapsettings.cfg" file didn't help unfortunately. Question, is it possible for the bootloader file to get corrupted? If so perhaps reloading it might help. My bootloader version is 5.5279. Anyone know where I can get a copy of this bootloader? I know playing with bootloaders is dangerous, but I'm running out options since I can't get past the TomTom start-up screen.

Removing the "mapsettings.cfg" file didn't help unfortunately. Question, is it possible for the bootloader file to get corrupted? If so perhaps reloading it might help. My bootloader version is 5.5279. Anyone know where I can get a copy of this bootloader? I know playing with bootloaders is dangerous, but I'm running out options since I can't get past the TomTom start-up screen.
The bootloader is part of the firmware package (e.g., if you load firmware 9.05X or 9.06X, you get the bootloader that goes with it as required). That said, the problem you'll run into is that the bootloader is never updated unless a more recent one lands in the root of the device. Without new firmware that included a more recent bootloader than 5.5279, nothing would load - or re-load, in your case.

Make a backup first and make 100% sure your USA_Canada_Mexico map folder is backed up.

Then format the device with quickformat disabled.

Then use winrar to extract the contents of this file onto the Tomtom.

Now disconnect and see if the Tomtom at least starts up and says "no maps found".

If so, then copy back your USA_Canada_Mexico folder only back, and see if it starts up.

If that works, connect to HOME and download one computer voice and quickgpsfix, and you should be good to go.

I did a low level format and loaded the new application. It asks to select a language (US English), then right or left handed operation, them miles or kilometers, then time. When I select "Done" for time it loops back to the start-up screen and the whole process repeats. It never gets to the point where it asks for the map. I ran clear flash then deleted and reinstalled the application. Same result. Any other suggestions?

I did a low level format and loaded the new application. It asks to select a language (US English), then right or left handed operation, them miles or kilometers, then time. When I select "Done" for time it loops back to the start-up screen and the whole process repeats. It never gets to the point where it asks for the map. I ran clear flash then deleted and reinstalled the application. Same result. Any other suggestions?

When following the steps I posted, did you get to the "no map found" step?

What did you get?

The steps asked you to format the device with quickformat disabled, then download a fresh/clean app from TT servers. It should have reported "No maps found" in that scenario.

If that isn't happening, I''m suspecting you have a physical fault with the device, and if you're in your return windows just swap it out at a store. If not, call Tomtom and they'll warranty swap it.

Ask a Question