XXL 540 and EasyPort Mount

jsg

I've had the XXL 540 fall from the dashboard because the EasyPort suction fails. The first time it happened I didn't tighten the knob enough. I learned how to place the suction cup hard onto the plastic round adhesive disk ( I use velcro to attach the disk to the dashboard and it stays very well) and tighten the knob but tonight, again, it fell off while the car was just while sitting in the garage. This is crappy because it can easily break the device if it lands the wrong way. So far it is OK, TomTom is sending me a new EasyPort, but I suspect it is a design problem rather than me having a defective mount.

Has anyone tried using velcro beween the suction cup and the plastic adhesive disk? Maybe this would make a difference. Because of theft, I cannot just attach the mount more permanently with a glue as it would invite trouble, probably.

Thanks,
Jerry

Here is a slightly different approach which is what I tend to use for devices in my own car, I hate things stuck to the windscreen. whilst this is a different TomTom to your device I am fairly sure this method will work as I know it fits the following devices:

One Third Edition.
One XL
All XL Easy Port
All One Easy Port
x20/ x30
x20/ x30 Easy Port
x40/ x50
Start/ Ease

First off you will need a Pro-Clip to suit your vehicle, there are loads to choose from, and the Brodit TomTom Ball which, in this case was salvaged from an x40 Brodit Mount, but a Brodit/ TomTom style ball is now available under the part number of 533091 directly from Brodit/ ProClip, here the Brodit "Ball" is attached to the Pro-Clip sat next to the standard Easy Port windscreen mount:

Look above the hinge line and you will see two small rubber plugs, these need to be removed (they simply flick out using your finger nails) to reveal two Philips head screws:

Remove the two screws and the mount comes apart very easily:

Place the old windscreen sucker part to one side and re-assemble the ring portion of the Easy-Port mount to the Brodit Ball by trapping the ball between the easy port ring and top cap, secure in to position using the two screws, these only need to be nipped up do not over tighten:

The Pro-Clip plus the Easy-Port secured in to my car (Ovlov V70), the Brodit Pro-Clip simply clips over the airvent securing to the structure either side of the vent to provide a solid mount for the navigation device, no holes are needed and if removed no traces of it being fitted are left in the car:

Finally, what does it look like with the device attached

If you want the device higher up rotate the entire mounting ring through 180 degrees and the device sits 75MM (3") higher:

Might offer you an idea as to what you can do for a nice solid mounting arangement and if/ when you change your TomTom you know the car Proclip and ball will fit as per the model list at the beginning of my post. I also bury the power cable routing it through the airvent to avoid wiring all over the inside of the car which presents a very neat installation - Mike

EasyPort Mount

Essentially, what you are saying Mike is that the EasyPort mount is either defective or inadequate to hold the GPS device securely. This could constitute fraud on the part of TomTom if they're marketing and selling something that doesn't work the way it is advertised. I will call the company now and see how they want to address this issue.

Jerry

Here is a slightly different approach which is what I tend to use for devices in my own car, I hate things stuck to the windscreen. whilst this is a different TomTom to your device I am fairly sure this method will work as I know it fits the following devices:

One Third Edition.
One XL
All XL Easy Port
All One Easy Port
x20/ x30
x20/ x30 Easy Port
x40/ x50
Start/ Ease

First off you will need a Pro-Clip to suit your vehicle, there are loads to choose from, and the Brodit TomTom Ball which, in this case was salvaged from an x40 Brodit Mount, but a Brodit/ TomTom style ball is now available under the part number of 533091 directly from Brodit/ ProClip, here the Brodit "Ball" is attached to the Pro-Clip sat next to the standard Easy Port windscreen mount:

Look above the hinge line and you will see two small rubber plugs, these need to be removed (they simply flick out using your finger nails) to reveal two Philips head screws:

Remove the two screws and the mount comes apart very easily:

Place the old windscreen sucker part to one side and re-assemble the ring portion of the Easy-Port mount to the Brodit Ball by trapping the ball between the easy port ring and top cap, secure in to position using the two screws, these only need to be nipped up do not over tighten:

The Pro-Clip plus the Easy-Port secured in to my car (Ovlov V70), the Brodit Pro-Clip simply clips over the airvent securing to the structure either side of the vent to provide a solid mount for the navigation device, no holes are needed and if removed no traces of it being fitted are left in the car:

Finally, what does it look like with the device attached

If you want the device higher up rotate the entire mounting ring through 180 degrees and the device sits 75MM (3") higher:

Might offer you an idea as to what you can do for a nice solid mounting arangement and if/ when you change your TomTom you know the car Proclip and ball will fit as per the model list at the beginning of my post. I also bury the power cable routing it through the airvent to avoid wiring all over the inside of the car which presents a very neat installation - Mike

Essentially, what you are saying Mike is that the EasyPort mount is either defective or inadequate to hold the GPS device securely. This could constitute fraud on the part of TomTom if they're marketing and selling something that doesn't work the way it is advertised. I will call the company now and see how they want to address this issue.
Jerry, for the record I do not make any claims that the supplied mount is inadequate, all I am offering you is some advice that alternate mounting solutions do indeed exist, it is my personal preference to use these alternate solutions as I feel they offer an asthetically neater installation within the car, in addition not being dependent upon a suction device for security they are considerably less prone to failure. - Mike

The TT mounts are really problematic especially if using the larger screen sizes. Solved my problem by purchasing an ARKON TTEP 112 bean bag mount at amazon.com. It comes with a beanbag which is rock steady and has never moved from my dash. It also comes with a mount that you can either attach to the bean bag or to your windshield. Liked this thing so much I purchased 3 of them for all my TomToms. Also when arriving at my destination, I just drop the whole bean bag with the TT on my cars floor. No visible sign of any GPS.

I've had my 540TM for a couple of weeks now. The suction cup has not lost its grip since initial installation and seems very solid.

I do make an effort not to stess the mount when inserting or removing the device. There are approaches that help the unit snap in & release very easilly which seem to come with a little practice. I think finding and using these methods helps. Also, and contrary to common advice, I don't remove my mount, but rather leave it in place. I remove the device, but not the mount. I think not having to constantly re-establish the suction adherance decreases the probablility of failure. Also, at least once each day I use the car I try to turn the round knob on the mount to be sure it is tight. The first time I did this it was rather loose, and I expect that if I had not discovered that and tightened it I would have experienced a failure.

Should I end up parked in an undesirable area I would probably remove the mount, but most of the time (and never since getting the 540) has that been the case. Leaving the mount in place is a convenience that probably entails some marginal risk.

Based just on my experience, I would conclude that the mount is rock solid.

Ged

I've had my 540TM for a couple of weeks now. The suction cup has not lost its grip since initial installation and seems very solid.

I do make an effort not to stess the mount when inserting or removing the device. There are approaches that help the unit snap in & release very easilly which seem to come with a little practice. I think finding and using these methods helps. Also, and contrary to common advice, I don't remove my mount, but rather leave it in place. I remove the device, but not the mount. I think not having to constantly re-establish the suction adherance decreases the probablility of failure. Also, at least once each day I use the car I try to turn the round knob on the mount to be sure it is tight. The first time I did this it was rather loose, and I expect that if I had not discovered that and tightened it I would have experienced a failure.

Should I end up parked in an undesirable area I would probably remove the mount, but most of the time (and never since getting the 540) has that been the case. Leaving the mount in place is a convenience that probably entails some marginal risk.

Based just on my experience, I would conclude that the mount is rock solid.

Ged

I hope you're right. I found a new technique that seems, so far, to be working. I use alcohol to clean both the plastic base and the suction cup. Then, while the mount is in unlock position, I push really hard until I get a good suction. Then I lock the mount. This seems to be holding. I too am not going to remove the mount unless I am in a questionable area.

Thanks,

Jerry

rxjr22 - I read some of the mounts are too deep so they cover information at the bottom of the XXL 540. Have you noticed that with the Akron TTEP 112? I have an original Garmin dash mount (from a friend, I only owned a Navigon before this). Do you think that would work ?

I hope you're right. I found a new technique that seems, so far, to be working. I use alcohol to clean both the plastic base and the suction cup. Then, while the mount is in unlock position, I push really hard until I get a good suction. Then I lock the mount. This seems to be holding. I too am not going to remove the mount unless I am in a questionable area. Thanks, Jerry

I cleaned my glass as well, but not with alcohol. Probably a very good idea.

On most days I insert and remove the GPS a number of times. I also seem to have to fiddle with the angle of the mount from time to time (because I've inadvertently moved it a bit on an insertion or removal). I'm impressed that that the base has not budged through all of that. If things change I'll post it.

Hopefully, it will be smooth for you going forward.

Ged

To those of you who are cleaning the suction cup (with water, alcohol, whatever), DO be careful. Avoid anything like paper towel like the plague. In fact, avoid rubbing the surface (especially the circumference) with anything at all if you can help it. When needed, I wash mine with mild dish detergent and my fingers.

Rubbing the periphery of the cup with anything abrasive or that sticks to the urethane at all creates microscopic tears in the urethane that make it just that much harder to get a decent seal. Those silly things are a lot more delicate than any instructions ever indicate.

The Akron TTEP 112 mentioned earlier looks nice and comes with a car adapter so you don't need the TT one. You won't be able to receive traffic reports however, one of the reason I picked up the "TM" model.
The adapter may be built in to the Akron so the GPS is powered through the mount. If so, you can't even use the TT traffic adapter and let the Akron cord "hang".

To those of you who are cleaning the suction cup (with water, alcohol, whatever), DO be careful. Avoid anything like paper towel like the plague. In fact, avoid rubbing the surface (especially the circumference) with anything at all if you can help it. When needed, I wash mine with mild dish detergent and my fingers.

Rubbing the periphery of the cup with anything abrasive or that sticks to the urethane at all creates microscopic tears in the urethane that make it just that much harder to get a decent seal. Those silly things are a lot more delicate than any instructions ever indicate.

Success! I finally figured out how to get the easyport mount to really stick.

1. Use some alcohol and clean the adhesive disc (or windshield) and the suction cup of the mount.
2. Press down very hard on the mount (without the gps device attached) when attaching to make sure you have a good, solid suction BEFORE tightening the knob.
3. Tighten the knob.

This resolved my issue with the easymount.

Jerry

Ask a Question