XL340TM live

TomTom Model(s)
XL 340 LIVE
What would cause this model to randomly reset? I got one 3 weeks ago and it reset (asking to agree to terms page) randomly. At first just a few minutes after starting a few times a week. Then a few days ago it did it in the middle of navigating twice. I traded it in for a new one, a few days ago, and now this one did it again today a few minuted after starting. Almost like it glitched when trying to load the live service. Everything is up to date.

The 740LIVE crashes often on startup if you don't clear route before the prior power-off.

Maybe the 340LIVE has the same bug? Does routinely doing a clear-route help any?

I clear my route every time upon arriving at my destination. There was a few times, only a couple, that I shut it down with a route in memory but I don't believe it crashed those times I started it up. Happening during starting and loading of live service I think I can live with. I don't want it to happen in route, as the last one did. If it happens again I am getting my money back and getting a mount for my ALLY and using Google GPS.

update - I was thinking. Might there be a compatibility issue with the live traffic loading and the RDS-TMC antenna being plugged in? Like it glitches trying to load the RDS-TMC traffic the same time as the live traffic.

Last edited:
I don't have a LIVE model but understand that the LIVE application doesn't even consider any rds-tmc information unless LIVE traffic info is not available.

But who knows? You may have a point.

It could be a coincidence. This is just what I'm noticing. Is there a special way to use a tomtom? as in... do I need to plug my cord in first and then turn on the device? or can I plug my cord in while its booting?

Either should work. I'd be inclined to let it fully boot up before connecting though. That's just me.......:)

I have noticed the last few times I used my tomtom, plugging it in before turning on, it would boot then tell me my traffic antenna is connected and load traffic from it. A few seconds later I get a massage that the antenna has been disconnected, traffic bar on right turns gray and seems to be loading. Then a few seconds later traffic loads again but I never get the "antenna is plugged in" message again. Does this mean it needed to disconnect the antenna before it could load the LIVE traffic?

I have noticed the last few times I used my tomtom, plugging it in before turning on, it would boot then tell me my traffic antenna is connected and load traffic from it. A few seconds later I get a massage that the antenna has been disconnected, traffic bar on right turns gray and seems to be loading. Then a few seconds later traffic loads again but I never get the "antenna is plugged in" message again. Does this mean it needed to disconnect the antenna before it could load the LIVE traffic?

Yes, that's normal behavior. The antenna tune's fairly quickly, and usually picks up signal faster than the LIVE modem can register itself on AT&T's network.

Once the modem registers, it validates your traffic subscription. Once the subscription is validated as active, the Tomtom disconnects the antenna and starts downloading the LIVE modem traffic.

So, if I stick with plugging my cord in before turning tomtom on, or after everything loads, and the restart problem stops, then the restart must have been due to a conflict. I'll keep the thread posted.

UPDATE - 8/31 Today I noticed the traffic bar went gray, in the middle of navigation, and then the unit reset itself. Time to bug tomtom about this issue.

UPDATE - 9/6 After talking with tomtom support they suggested to try a replacement one more time. I did this on the second. So far so good. No reboots/resets and when the antenna disconnects to use the live traffic it continue to charges. Ill give it a little longer seeing im on vacation now, I use it a lot more at work.

Last edited:

Ask a Question