XL340s Pronunciation issues and the word "Road"

OKC user

I recently purchased a 335TM and have the issue with the spoken names, etc. The issue is not that it is irritating but that when the pronounciation is so far off, you wonder if you are at the correct street or highway for your turn. This seems like it should be a simple fix but so far, I have not seen one that I felt I would be able to do because I am not computer proficient enought to feel comfortable to do so. This is an update that TomTom should make available or if I knew a computer tech that could do so, I would be willing to pay for the service. This is really the only thing that I am unhappy about but I also have only had the unit for about 30 days and have not had a change to try it out on locations that I already did not know the route to. Over all I am happy with my purchase for the price paid, just wish there was an easy fix.

Cannot figure out how turn Text-to-Speech on XL340S

Just got my XL 340 S and looked through the online manual and can find no reference to text-to-speech so I cannot get the street names audibly, it just says to turn in 300 yards, etc. Why yards and not feet or mileage (1/2 mile) is beyond me. Any help on how to turn on text to speech? :confused:

Just got my XL 340 S and looked through the online manual and can find no reference to text-to-speech so I cannot get the street names audibly, it just says to turn in 300 yards, etc. Why yards and not feet or mileage (1/2 mile) is beyond me. Any help on how to turn on text to speech? :confused:
TTS is only accomplished when using one of the "computer" voices. You need to select from one of those. Names of the ones we see are Susan, Kate, David and Simon. If you go to Home, you'll find the options for adding new voices. You'll see quickly that there are two types -- one requires only about 0.7MB, the other more like 47MB. It's the larger ones that will pronounce street names.

I have a 340xl and it's bad with street names. That and the constant repeat of directions is why I keep mine muted.

Although I don't have the 340, I have the XL-335TM and did the following which helped with pronunciation:

To fix TTS, go to your map folder (usually "North America" or "Usa_Canada_and_Mexico") and look for the file 'cphoneme.dat'. Rename this file 'cphoneme.old'.

Renaming the file is safer than deleting and causes the application (or NAVCORE) not to find the help file (who needs help like that :rolleyes:) . Before I did this, my TT would pronounce "Lantana Road" as "London-R Road". Once I renamed that file, pronunciation was much improved. It still says, "four west one" instead of "Four Oh One" (401) however.

NOTE: After a Map update you will have to do this again.

Last edited:

Ask a Question