XL335T hangs on startup

I got an XL335T for Christmas and was able to install Home and download and copy the latest map to it. However, when it restarts the Tomtom logo appears and nothing more happens.. If I do a 15 second reset when connected to the PC it will start Home and appears to work. I can use the "Operate my device" simulator in Home to see the device's information on the PC, but once I disconnect it I'm back to the same logo and nothing more.

From what I can tell, this appears to be a rather common problem. Is there a common fix?

Use Windows Explorer to view the files and folders within the drive letter associated with your TomTom, when you first open the drive letter for your TomTom you will see a number of folders and some lose files. Delete the lose files, do not touch any folders or files within folders.

Next fire up TomTom Home_2 and select update my Go, this will force the Home application to download a fresh copy of the navigation software for your device and install it. When its finished please make sure you use the Tools/ Disconnect my TomTom option from the top tool bar in TomTom Home, if you pull the cable out prior to using the disconnect option it can (and often does) mess up the files stored on the device - Mike

Problem fixed -- Thank you

Your suggestions were right on the mark. The only additional step I needed to take was to disconnect and reconnect the device after deleting all the files (but not the folders and files inside them) in the root folder of the device in Windows Explorer. Then the "Update my device" feature of Home was able to download and reinstall the files.

Everything now works correctly. I greatly appreciate the help.

Ask a Question