XL Routing Me Back The Way I Came

On a trip to San Diego last week I programmed my GPS to route me back north to the Bay Area. It routed me through Los Angeles. I didn't want to deal with the traffic so I used the Via function to send me to Highway 210. I checked the map and it routed me correctly. While on US 215 it directed me onto an offramp, over the freeway and back the way I came. Took me to the next offramp, over the freeway and back. It did this three times. I have never taken these ramps before.

Am I doing something wrong in my setup? Wierd.

Randy

It's an evil plot between TomTom and Denny's. You DID see the Denny's at the first off-ramp, didn't you? When you passed it, your TomTom redirected you in the loop to put you back at the Denny's again. We're not sure how much they're paying TomTom, but evidently Denny's is making enough off the deal to make it worth their while. :p

Seriously? Did you enter a single waypoint, and are you SURE that it was on the correct side of the road? I know this is going to sound nuts, but let's create a quick example...

You plan a S to N route on some divided highway. You force routing to a particular spot, but accidentally pull up the southbound lane for your waypoint when touching the map. Your TomTom will take you to the nearest exit north of that point, turn you around, and send you south so that you will pass through the waypoint in the southbound lane that you requested. To your TomTom, the two sides of a divided highway are like two different roads.

I talked about similar situation on a previous thread, I planned a route on google/tyre and it worked fine to my destination (approx 150 miles), when I got ready to return home I just punched in Home and it wanted me to go a different way than I had come, made the same trip several times and always received the same instructions for returning home, so one day while I was setting this up I noticed it said fastest way and I thought well lets try the shortest route, well low and behold it took me down the same back roads I had taken getting to my destination, worked fine for 3/4 of the trip then wanted me to go another road, well I knew where I was headed so just maintain my route and of course it then by passed the other road and took me straight home, so something to think about between (fast and short) route............

Ask a Question