XL- Need USA maps

TomTom Model(s)
XL
Hello,
I have a Tomtom XL Western Europe and will be travelling to USA. I want to purchase the USA maps but the device does not have enough storage for these. I have backed up the device and can see the WEmaps in there. Can I remove the western Europe maps and put the USA maps onto the device? Obviously I would want to put the WE maps back on at a later date.
Thanks.

Yes, no problem.

TomTom's "Home" program should be able to move the existing map onto the PC for you (in "Manage my XL"), but we usually find it easier to do it yourself using the normal PC cut and paste methods.
Using Windows Explorer (or "MyComputer" or whatever Microsoft are calling it today) , the XL will appear as a new disk drive and you should be able to just select the "Western Europe" folder from there and move it to and from the TomTom and your PC to make room.

But the safest way to achieve that is to make a backup of EVERYTHING (including the map folder), and once you've done that, you can go ahead and delete the Western Europe folder on the TomTom.
Instructions for making that all-important backup with Windows Explorer are here:
How to backup the contents of your unit to the computer

------

Once you've done the backup and removed the Western Europe folder from the TomTom, you can go ahead and use Home to buy and install the US maps.

And as soon as you've done it, make ANOTHER backup (call it "TT with US maps" or whatever)

Then, when you want to swap back to Europe it's a simple matter of moving the US map folder off the XL and putting the Western Europe folder back on.

If there's anything that's not clear, just ask.

Hello,
I have backed up both ways and deleted WE maps folder from device. I downloaded the usa maps. When installing USA to hard drvie I received an error right at the end saying 'This file does not exist: E\Western_Europe\Autoveloc_IT_TomTom.ov2'
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

.... I received an error right at the end saying 'This file does not exist: E\Western_Europe\Autoveloc_IT_TomTom.ov2'

Very odd. That sounds like it's a POI file for Italian speed cameras, but I've just checked my archive of backups for all my current units and I don't have that file name anywhere.

Why it should have anything to do with you adding a US map is a bit of a mystery.
Is it actually causing the new map install to fail?

I guess it's worth trying the "Home" way of removing the Europe map, in case they've changed something sneakily.
If you want to try that, put the Western Europe folder back on, then use' Manage my XL' in Home to move it off the unit. Then see if it has better luck installing the US map that (hopefully) is already fully downloaded.

Yes it seemed odd as it had nothing to do with USA maps. I have added the maps the manual copy and paste way and it looks as though its ok. Obviously I can't test it though as it's just USA maps. I guess I will find out on Sunday.
Thanks.

. . . Obviously I can't test it though as it's just USA maps. I guess I will find out on Sunday.
Thanks.

You *might* be able to test it - just reset your "Home" location to somewhere in the USA, then plan a trip from your new Home location to your first destination. Works for me when I travel, although I haven't tried that particular trick overseas . . .

Also you should be able to browse the US map and do "Advance planning" route calculations, which you can then do an animated demo of.

Ask a Question