XL Live IQ Routes How to get Europe Map

Sorry if there are very simple answers to this but I'm new to SatNAvs

I've got an XL Live IQ Routes that came with a map of the UK. I want to use it in Europe and understand I need the Western Europe Map which is 1.972GB. The XL Live has 2GB internal memory and no expansion slot. So:

If I download the Western Europe Map will it fit?
Does it over write the UK map?
Will it still give the same detail of coverage in the UK as the UK only map I have at the moment?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to TTF.

The newest European maps (complete) don't fit on units less than 2 gigs in size so you will be offered Zones to download and install (like Europe_West) containing all the detail for the UK & ROI you currently have as well as other countries such as Italy and France.

If you need to go to Germany, for example, you'll need to download a different European zoned map. (all zones included in the update) but just downloaded individually to the computer & installed on the unit as needed.

Thanks dhn for your response.

How do I find out which countries feature in particular zones ?

My concern is needing to use the TT to get to the airport in the UK and then from the airport when I arrive in my destination. If the map zone doesn;t cover my home and destination countries am I going to have to connect to a PC and download another zone before I can get directions?:confused:

See some info here:
Map zones

And yes, if you are travelling, say, to Germany, you'll either need to have installed that zone map on the unit before you left home or have a notebook with you with the maps installed there, ready to swap to the unit as needed.

Nice, eh? :(

See some info here:
Map zones(

I have pointed people to that page for more info too....

But I've now realised that it shows FIVE little maps, and I think if you try to buy the latest mapping you're only offered FOUR zones.
Has anyone found anywhere with the exact coverage maps shown?

I think I saw a breakdown when I went to Manage my unit-->Device tab-->Map-->and clicked on 'change map zone-->more info.

Think I saw it there...........

I am about to buy a new Satnav and am looking at a Tom Tom with Western Europe coverage. Am I right in reading this as Tom Tom sell the unit with European coverage but the reality is you can't use it without taking off most of Europe? I am lost as to the logic in this. Why did they not put in a memory large enough? Garmins may do the same, I'll need to investigate but this defeats logic to me.

Welcome to TTF.

Using the word 'logic' and TomTom in the same sentence is quite often an oxymoron.

Most current tomtom models have run into the problem where the entire Europe map can't fit inot available storage and the model has no sd slot for further expansion.

The user has to download just a European 'zone' (like Europe_West) and if the user needs a map for a country in a different map, the original zoned map needs to be moved to the computer and then the other zone can get downloaded from TT and installed.

A hassle indeed.

Most current tomtom models have run into the problem where the entire Europe map can't fit inot available storage and the model has no sd slot for further expansion..

TomTom don't see this as a "problem", it's an "improvement"!

It's because of "all the extra detail they've crammed into the maps".

The fact that no-one can even see this new detail or even wants it has escaped them though.

Removing the SD card slot from almost all the newer models was the biggest mistake they've made in a long line of bad product decisions IMHO.

Andy_P - I have to agree with you. I was leaning heavily towards a TomTom for the live updates and clear mapping. However having to mess about with the European maps turns me off big time. My little 7yr old Streetpilot has a Micro SD card so if the difference between fitting the maps on or not is that feature then leaving it off amazes me. The basic reqt of a European Satnav is surely to have European maps on. Very disappointing.

Can TomTom sell an SD card expansion slot?

I just wonder,

if it's possible that TomTom/3rd party vendor can sell a product that allows for an external SD card slot expansion--perhaps thru' the existing mini-USB slot?

This would then resolve the internal memory limitation that has plagued TomTom devices so much.

I love to get a European map--but this zoning feature is a major turn-off to me. How do I swap zones while I am driving from one European zone to another?(!)

Anyone could hang a "thumb drive" or other USB device off a TomTom, but unless TomTom were to rewrite the firmware to look out there for it , it wouldn't do anything useful. Further, the slower USB 1.1 units might not have a satisfactory throughput on the USB to make it usable even so.

Ask a Question