XL Live IQ no GPS after update february 2012

TomTom Model(s)
XL Live IQ routes, Via Live 125
After updating my XL Live IQ Routes (the device is two years old) at the end of february 2012 it cannot find a GPS signal. Before the firmware update it worked perfectly. I have been trying everything since. Restoring the backup didn't work. I even formatted the device several times, deleted the download folder, and connected the computer directly to the modem before downloading and installing new files. The weird thing is, that everything works, exept finding the sattelites. The TomTom helpdesk offerd me to repair the device (payed) or a 20% discount on a refurbished model. So no more options from the helpdesk.
However, I've got the strong feeling that the new update caused the failure. I'snt there an option to download and install a pervious version of the firmware to check it out?
Besides that, I've read several simular complains in other forums. Are there more in this forum ?

The new update only caused problems for Nav3 devices, not yours.

Try this:
  1. Use Explorer to delete anything in the ephem folder on your device
  2. Use Explorer to delete any sub-folders in this location on your computer:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\ephemeris\

3. Connect your unit to Home 2 and a new gpsquickfix file should be offered (Update my Unit). If so, accept it and install.
4. Disconnect the unit from Home properly using the Device Disconnect icon.
5. Take the unit outside, restart it and see if you get a gps fix within a couple of minutes.

Thanks dhn for your answer.
I've already tried that. I even deleted the whole TomTom folder from My Documents. Home 2 did offer a new Quick GPS update, which I installed. It did not help. I waited 20 minutes outside. In the download\compete directory I don't have a folder "ephemeris" (never had), only "program".

If you have been getting QuickGPSFix updates, they must be stored on your PC, and unless there's something odd going on, will be right where dhn said they would be.

I guess your default download directory MIGHT have been changed....
In Home, check the Tools menu / Home Preferences / Folders tab

The first line should show where downloads are currently being stored.

Go to Manage My XL in Tomtom HOME. Remove all instances of Quickgpsfix on the "items on computer" tab. Then remove all instances of quickgpsfix on the "items on device" tab.

Then to go Update my XL, and it should give you a new quickgpsfix.

Then disconnect, and hopefully the GPS will now work fine. If it doesn't try the following.

1) mount your Tomtom on it's normal location in your car, and park somewhere that gives the Tomtom a clear view of the sky
2) do a route demo from your current physical location (use "point on map") to a location a few hundred feet away.
3) after the demo completes a full loop, cancel the demo
4) go to the gps status screen by tapping on the lower right of the Tomtom, then tapping on the satellite bars on the next screen. And wait on the screen until the bars change color (meaning gps connected)

The above steps usually fix any software-related GPS problem.

Thanks Andy_P and Canderson: I've got a new QuickGPSfix installed and it's both on the PC and the TomTom now. On the PC it is located in the ...\HOME\Download\complete\ephemeris folder. On the TomTom I've got three files in the ephem folder.
Thanks mvl: I performed exactely your steps, but still no sattelites found.
Any suggestions why the device worked perfectely before the firmware update of february?

Sometimes after software updates it takes an incredibly long time to get initial signal.

Try leaving it on and mounted in your car while you commute to work and/or drive for errands for a day. If, after a whole day of driving it still doesn't connect then you've probably got a hardware problem in need of RMA.

One key question, on the gps status screen (the one where I asked you to wait 5 minutes) is the pinwheel in the upper right spinning? If it's not spinning, that's usually a sign of a hardware fault.

mvl: Yes, the wheel is spining, and spinning, and spinning...
OK. Next try will be a day in the car. You'll here from me...

mvl: Yes, the wheel is spining, and spinning, and spinning...
OK. Next try will be a day in the car. You'll here from me...

I had the device in the car for about three hours, driving through open spaces. But still no valid GPS signal. I may have to accept that the XL Live is now a XL Dead.

Ron -
One thing I have not yet seen recommended, and which you may not yet have done, is to force a reset of the unit. I've had in past times RARE occasions where I had to do this to get my GO740 to look for satellites again (not recently, though).

Hold the power button down for about 20 seconds until you hear the drums play, and immediately release the button then.

Ron -
One thing I have not yet seen recommended, and which you may not yet have done, is to force a reset of the unit. I've had in past times RARE occasions where I had to do this to get my GO740 to look for satellites again (not recently, though).

Hold the power button down for about 20 seconds until you hear the drums play, and immediately release the button then.

Thanks Canderson,
It was the first thing that I tried. I tried it all...even ending up formatting the device and reinstalling all the software. I also tried out the very first software as well as the newest.
I don't think it will ever work again. Though it keeps me wondering why it stopped working after a software update....

Ask a Question