XL IQR won't start

TomTom Model(s)
XL - 2GB
Can't get the unit to start up. Get the drum roll and logo (with hands), then a blue screen with a picture of the GPS and a yellow bar traces across the bottom of the screen, then the logo reappears. Nothing else happens. Then the only way I can turn it off is to press the reset button. Please help.

Have a look at the thread, XL Froze? Sounds like u have a similar issue. Please ensure you make a complete backup to your computer and not tomtom home !!!!! The only difference in my issue is my device did not freeze on the logo screen after loading bar it froze on screen with GPS and flashing red circle/white cross. I'm still getting advice from the guys on here so fingers crossed they can help both of us

That yellow bar tracing across the bottom indicates that the device is performing a hard reboot. In your case, let's start with what often works ...

Connect your device to your PC. In your North America map folder you'll find a file called mapsettings.cfg. Rename that file to mapsettings.cfg.old or similar so that the device cannot see it when it boots.

After the rename, properly disconnect your device using Home, don't let it connect to the PC this next time, and allow it to boot again. See if it comes up this time.

Many TNX to those who responded. I got it going by installing TomTomHOMEwinlatest on my PC, then connecting the XL and going through the instructions. Glad to find out I don't have to toss the XL after only minimal use.

Also, can I update my USA map w/o paying over $70? I see lots of sites that offer free maps but they all require installation of their toolbar. I don't like adding toolbars to my pc and don't know which, if any, of those sites, e.g. Mapquest, can be trusted not to pile crap on my pc, some of which could be problematic. Info appreciated.

jogle

No maps apart from those designed for your TomTom will work. If you have a site offering free TomTom maps, beware. They're not free.

TNX to Canderson. What you say makes sense. The reason $70+ for a new US map is intolerable is because that's about the price of a brand new GPS which, presumably, has a current map. Is this how they get us to throw away perfectly functional units?

That's the brave new world we live in. The devices are sold as cheap as possible so the companies have to make up the profits in other ways.

Why do you think computer printers are so cheap? Because you are then locked in to buying their expensive ink.

@jogle
These days, it is possible here in the US to purchase units with lifetime map updates as part of the deal.

One thing that interests me is your current model name "XL IQ Routes". That's what a series of units was called in Europe. Here' we tended to call them something like an XL 340.

In any case, an equivalent model today would probably be in the Via series, and for around $100 or so, you get a lifetime map subscription. Crazy, eh?

Thanks Andy_p and canderson. Yeah, you're right. I bought a Epson XP-300 that even has Wi-Fi for $59 from Walmart and it will cost more than that to replace the ink even once. Crazy, you bet.

That said, if TomTom can't give me a map update at a reasonable price I might just try one of those internet map offers. Not much to lose. Doesn't TT offer just a single update of the original map, rather than the 4 updates in a year?

jogle

@Arno
Most chips aren't self-resetting, and resetting the count without filling the cartridge on a unit that doesn't integrate the heads into the cartridge is a train wreck waiting to happen. For printers with separate heads (not part of the cartridge), running them dry is a bad idea, and even if the head survives, trying to reprime the things is a royal PITA.

I use self-resetting cartridges and bulk ink. I can refill all 5 color (I have photo light cyan and magenta) + black cartridges about 10 times for about $40 total, and the original set of cartridges is pretty cheap.

@canderson
What make/model printer do you use.

I still used my old B/W HP4P, after getting a $5 USB/Parallel cable and downloading the printer drivers for the lowliest HP PCL5 printer.

You can also buy electronic cartridge resetters for about £8-10. (eg here).
I had one for my old Epson printer that worked brilliantly, I could get at least one if not two resets out of a cartridge before it actually ran out. (i.e. Epson said it was empty when it was only 1/3 to 1/2 used - that's just criminal).

But it's a game of cat and mouse, the new resetter for my latest Epson only works about half the time, and only if the chip says the cartridge is still about half full.
Often the printer says the equivalent of "you've tried to deny us our outrageous profits by using a non-Epson cartridge....sod off".

@canderson
What make/model printer do you use.

I still used my old B/W HP4P, after getting a $5 USB/Parallel cable and downloading the printer drivers for the lowliest HP PCL5 printer.
At present, working with an HP C8180 All-in-One, and they really do mean "All". It even has a Lightscribe disk writer in it. I purchased a full set of 6 self-resetting cartridges right after I bought it, and have been filling them ever since. WAAAAAY cheaper than even taking factory cartridges to be refilled - and almost no one can refill a light cyan or light magenta in any case - much less buying new HP carts.

Hello TomTom users :)
I have the same problem - Can't get the unit to start up. Get the drum roll and logo (with hands), then a blue screen with a picture of the GPS and a yellow bar traces across the bottom of the screen, then the logo reappears. Nothing else happens. Then the only way I can turn it off is to press the reset button. After map mapsettings.cfg deleting nothing happens - the same display with logo. Under TomTom Home the unit works properly and I can see it under Win 7 (like remuvable disk) and under TomTom Home, but like GPS unit - TomTom hands screen :( Any ideas?

Connect to Home. Run the emulator (Operate my Device). Manage Favorites. Add one or delete one or edit one, doesn't matter. Disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon. Restart the device and see if it boots properly.

Connect to Home. Run the emulator (Operate my Device). Manage Favorites. Add one or delete one or edit one, doesn't matter. Disconnect properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon. Restart the device and see if it boots properly.

Unfornatly the result is the same - hands logo ...

Ask a Question