XL IQ Routes stuck at startup - nothing helped

TomTom Model(s)
XL IQ Routes
Hi, my TT XL IQ Routes edition is frozen at start-up and nothing seem to work.
Already tried all methods I could find on forum including:
1) Deleted the application from TT and computer then, download and update the device. Didn't work.
2) Deleted all files (not folders) then, update the device, Didn't work.
3) Formatted (full, not quick) the TT and used a (Windows, not Home) backup copy to restore. Also uninstalled the Home 2, deleted all TomTom folders (from documents, and %appdata%) then installed a fresh copy of Home. Didn't work.

It seems that when I disconnect my device from computer it doesn't dismount properly.
When connected to computer the device doesn't ask if I want to connect to computer.

I have bought several maps until now so the device value is much higher for me, therefore I would appreciate if someone can help me repair my device.

Hardware type: TomTom XL IQ Routes Edition
SubID (feature) 0 1: 00 (0000000100000000)
Bootloader version: 55.5277 clist#342886 RVCT
Chacksum: C61F
Memory: 64 MB, Type:MSDR
CPU ID: 32412003
Clocks: 264.0 132.0 66.0
GPS Type: GL2 BCM4750 FFFF
TFT Type: Samsung LMS430HF19 17
Internal FLASH capacity: 2007040 KB
MMC NAND version (PRV): 36 Samsung
Startup mode: Power down
Device ID: RU 54xxxxxxx
Touchscreen calib. data: 78 947 130 857 @3300mV
Sector protection: Yes
Battery boot voltage: 4118 mV
RTC: 05:07:45 24/10/2014

Kind regards,
Cris

DHN, Thank you for your answer.

I tried using a different USB cable (even a different computer) and it didn't work.

I would like to mention:
- After a full format and installing first application from TomTom there is a message which says "Restart your device manually" see the screenshot.
TomTom message..JPG

It seems that Home already disconnected the device. After I pull out the USB cable the device restarts and instead showing the screen with driving rules and "Continue" button the same screen (I guess) is scrolling/rolling very fast and I have to press on screen bottom right where "Continue" button use to be and it goes to next screen which also is rolling very fast (nothing intelligible there). After I connect it to computer the question if I want to connect to computer shows up also rolling very fast and I have to press somewhere on the screen where the Yes button use to be. Then in Home all buttons are available but if I press "Operate my ONE XXL" the "Clock settings" and "Reset to factory settings" are greyed out.

- If I disconnect the device and connect back to the computer Home is aking again to update the device. After Installing second Application "update" from TomTom and same message (screenshot attached) shows up. After disconnecting the USB cable the device gets stuck at TOMTOM + 2 hands. Then if I connect to computer nothing happens unless I restart and after restarting, Home message saying application update required (third time) and asking if I want to update my device. If I press "Update my device" there is no application available to update just "Navigating to a postcode" and other maps that I have in my account. Then if I click "Back", in Home the "Get free map connection from map share", "Backup and Restore" and "Operate my ONE XXL" are greyed out.

Please let me know if is anything else I can do to fix it.

For Backup I copied (in my computer) all folders and files (including hidden files) from TT root directory. I did this when my device was working.

Questions:
  1. To Restore TT do I have to install first the application on the device via HOME or is enough to copy/paste the Backup? Unfortunately, I don't have HOME Backup.
  2. Since I have several Backup copies, one for each map; does it matter which map I chose to Restore from Backups? The maps I have are: Africa (all), Australia, Brazil, New Zealand, Europe (Central, East, North, South and West), US, Canada and Mexico.
  3. Do I have to delete mapsettings or any other files from Backup?
  4. When is best to use Home after formatting the device?
  5. I hate to ask this because I don't want to give up my TT yet, but; which other TomTom device (available for purchase now) is compatible with my maps, in case I will not be able to repair my TT? I'm asking this because I travel often for work and I need a solution soon.
Cris

1. No. After formatting, you should be able to copy back all of the original files/folders directly to the unit
2. Unclear how you backed up, but as far as the code goes, if it's included in one of those backups, it should not matter which you restore.
3. No. In fact, you would lose favorites, etc., if you did so.
4. Never in this particular case if your backups are current. Always do the manual backup and restore. It's just a safer alternative. If your backups are old, when you connect, Home will try to update your firmware for you if there is anything more recent available.
5. None. Maps are keyed to individual devices.

1. Formatted the device --> Copied Backup to root directory --> After disconnected from computer the device was stuck on startup image --> Did a drumroll reset and still frozen at startup image.
  2. I used US-Canada-Mexico map to restore.
  3. Did not delete any files.
  4. The backups were from May-June-July 2014.
  5. Maps are keyed to my personal account. I know for a fact (I asked TomTom customer service and they reply by email) that I can transfer my maps to a different TT device as long is using HOME by linking my account to the new device. This would make the old device unusable on my account. Rephrasing the question; what TT device should I buy that uses Home software to replace the existing one.
  6. I installed Home on my computer and did a Home update then selected just "QuickGPSfix Data" and still stuck at startup image.

I deleted all device content with Home and then downloaded again the application, one voice and New Zealand map which is small (about 30 MB) and still same problem.
Then, I tried something different. I could not see what was written on screen because the words were rolling very fast but I took a photo and it seems that the map is missing. See attached screenshot from "fast rolling" startup screen.
image.JPG

Any idea what is the cause of this?
Again, after second connection to computer Home is asking for (second) Application update, then the screen is not rolling anymore but gets stuck at TOMTOM and two hands logo.
All help is much appreciated.
Cris

5. Maps are keyed to my personal account. I know for a fact (I asked TomTom customer service and they reply by email) that I can transfer my maps to a different TT device as long is using HOME by linking my account to the new device. This would make the old device unusable on my account. Rephrasing the question; what TT device should I buy that uses Home software to replace the existing one.
There seem to have been a misunderstanding between you and the TomTom agent.
Maps are keyed to the device and can be used on that device only.
What can be done is change your account and transfer the device to that account, saving all the maps on that device.

Arno, you are right.
I just called TT and the agent confirmed that the maps are keyed to device. They also told me that is not much else I can do to fix my device.
However, I'm still trying to repair my GPS device.
Please see above explanations and let me know if is there any other solution.

Ask a Question