XL IQ Routes Edition - Stiff Mounting Bracket

TomTom Model(s)
XL IQ Routes Edition (UK & ROI)
Hi

I have just purchased a new Tom Tom XL IQ Routes Edition (Original model, not Version 2) and have a couple of questions regarding the mounting bracket supplied with the kit.

Firstly, the ball joint on the mounting bracket seems overly stiff and is very difficult to move without using some considerable force. I appreciate that it needs to be quite stiff to ensure that it doesn't move in use but should I apply a small amount of lubricant to it? If so, what is the best lubricant to use?

Secondly, the way the actual device fixes to the bracket seems rather flimsy and is held in place by three wire lugs. If I frequently remove the device from the bracket, is it likely to adversely affect the security of the fixing?

I would appreciate feedback on users of this particular device.

Welcome to TTF. Look for UK based supermode, Mikealder, to respond to your queries at some point, hopefully in the next 24 hours. He is an absolute expert in so many areas, including mounts for the models and how to deal with them.

Check back..........

If your talking about the easymount, there are 2 screws behind rubber plugs that are used to adjust the "stiffness" of the swivel. The plugs pop out easily & you need a small phillips screwdriver to adjust the screws. No need for grease on mine. As far as the durability of the attaching hardware, I see nothing to cause me concern.
Cheers,
kev

Indeed, pulling out the two rubber "bungs" to access the screws can be used to release some pressure on the ball reducing the firction which in turn makes it easier to move BUT when it gets hot in the car you might find it starts to "droop" which isn't good.

Remove the two screws and the mount comes apart very easily:

DO NOT lubricate the ball/ socket or it will droop, as for long term attachment of the device to the ring, I have never had an issue with my XL IQ which has been in use for quite some time now - Mike

Thanks Guys for the prompt responses, especially the very comprehensive reply from mikealder.

I saw the two plugs but didn't know what purpose they served and didn't want to mess with it as the unit is new and it might invalidate the warranty.

I take the point about having the ball mount too loose but mine certainly needs excessive force to move it at all. I just need to have it free enough to reposition the device without pulling it off the ring mount, which is what happens at the moment.

Ask a Question