Xl IQ Routes Edition dead,, Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
TomTom Model(s)
XL IQ Routes
I bought an XL IQ Routes Edition last summer and it worked fine until I downloaded the first sw update. From the very first update it would abort during the loading of the patch usually at some random file such as the Portuguese flag file. Eventually after several attempts, the load would complete and I would be good to go.
This continued with every patch / sw update from Tom Tom Home and finally around June 2010 would not update at all,, constantly errored during the update.
So I found instructions here about resetting and formatting the device and then running update. That worked for the first time I tried it. All was good until the August update from Tom Tom Home. I installed it and it seemed to load ok so I headed off on a trip only to find out that the device would reboot every time the rout planning would kick off. It did not matter where I planned the rout to, it would pause just before completing the route and reboot.
So I get back home a few days later and connect to Tom Tom and verify the update was ok. I then format the device again and download the updates again, add my map. USA/ Mex. and give it another try. This time it just reboots at the license "I agree' screen. Every time I press I Agree it goes blank and reboots.
I try resetting, reformatting, reloading, several more times and get the same results.
Oh, I also did a backup of the device at one point when all was working after an update. When I try to restore that BU it just errors on a random file and aborts.
What?s next? Any suggestions?

Oh, I also did a backup of the device at one point when all was working after an update. When I try to restore that BU it just errors on a random file and aborts.
What?s next? Any suggestions?
With all of the problems transferring data to your unit, I'm beginning to think you have USB problems.

That said - what kind of backup did you make in that "backup of the device ... when all was working"? Did you use Home for that backup, or did you use your PC's own file management to copy the files to your hard drive?

I have tried updates on several diferent PC's, so bad USB is highly unlikely. I have even used different cables to connect,, no help.

For backup, I used Tom Tom Home.

We suggest NEVER using Home for the backups, only Explorer (or Finder on a Mac).

Try this (again):
1. Make an Explorer backup.
2. Format the unit. Don't use quickformat.
3. Restore the backup.

Any better?

So make a backup (w/Explorer) while it's in it's hung state?

The updates can be problematic in themselves, but it sounds as though you're having restore options as well.

First, you may or may not understand that Home uses the same folder for backups, and will overwrite previous data. When using Home, it's important that your "benchmark" backups be done after you rename the folder that Home creates (most of us just use the day's date) so that it places your backups into a new folder. We don't generally recommend Home for backups in any case as it sometimes misses things.

That said, I'd follow the following procedure to try to get yourself back into shape... assuming you can get a decent connection back to TomTom using Home.

First, please advise as to which application is currently loaded on your unit. Could be 9.024, 9.022, 8.411 or 8.410. If it isn't one of those, STOP and report back please.

Make a Windows (or whatever you're using - Linux, Mac) copy of your entire unit just as it stands now to your PC's hard drive using the procedure outlined below, paying particular note to the need to make all system and hidden files visible before the copy:

https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...4-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.html

Now, using your PC, delete all of the "loose" files in the root of your unit. DO NOT delete any of the folders. You are removing all of the unit's application firmware by doing this.

Connect your unit and fire up Home. Home will offer you a new application to replace the missing one from your unit. Take it up on that offer.

Once you've gotten that far along, please advise as to which application you find loaded on your unit.

So make a backup (w/Explorer) while it's in it's hung state?

Plug your unit to the USB cable before turning it on. With any luck, it won't be "hung" that way, and you can access your unit with your PC once you turn your unit on while plugged in.

OK,, the SW version is 8.415.
9.024 appears to be the most current version for your unit, so you've evidently has some update issues all right.

Is 8.415 from your backup (per DHN method) or after killing your application and reloading with Home (my subsequent suggestion)?

Say, how did you get your firmware version, anyway? Unit still hung or no? If not, that's good, and I'll assume you got the firmware directly from the unit's control panel. If not, advise please.

One more question, and I'll be subtle about it. I noted from your IP here that you might be on a corporate system. Have all of your update attempts been from such systems, or have you been trying at home, and in either case, have you been using a wireless or hardwired connection during the update attempts?

For reasons that NONE of us have ever understood, Home updates seem to have a higher than normal failure rate over wireless connections. I've moved a bazillion bytes via wireless with no problem at all, but as I say, there's something evidently peculiar to the error checking or something that causes Home to behave oddly at times, especially with aborted updates.

OK,, I tried it from scratch again , same results, just reboots at the "I Accept" screen. After formating, the Tom Tom updater loaded version 8.415. However, when I connected after the load, it then said there was a new updat , version 9. o something. At any rate none of it worked, same issue. So I deleted all the root directory files, leaving all folders, and kicked off the updater again, now it just errors out during the copy to device phase. Below is one of the errors I get.
As for location, I am at work on a wired desktop system. I have also tried wired at home and wireless at home. All OS's have been Win 7.

Error:

ERROR: DesktopLib/InstallToDevice/Install/Single/DestinationFileDoesNotExist: Cannot create this file: M:\helpme\flags\Taiwan.gif
@ .\framework\InstallToDeviceThread.cpp(1324)
Last Error is 00000570 Item metadata is <HOME2 version="2.7">
<program idnum="13128" idurl="http://num1.id.tomtom.com/13128" idstr="Navigator" version="8.415">
<title lang="en-US" mimetype="text/plain">TomTom Application for TomTom XL IQ Routes Edition S</title>
<description lang="en-US" mimetype="text/plain">The latest version of the application for your TomTom device. We recommend that you update so that you always have the latest features and the best performance on your TomTom. For a list of changes made in this application, see What's new in the latest application for TomTom navigation devices? Note: If your TomTom or TomTom application has been adapted by your employer, IT administrator or any company other than TomTom, please check with the supplier before you install our latest application. This applies to any applications based on the TomTom SDK.</description>
<image mimetype="image/png" url="http://home.tomtom.com/media/program/icon/program.png" usage="icon"/>
<download>
<url location="http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.415.xl2009_plus_tts.CAB-navcore-ONE_XL.cab" content="main" size="28149760" downloader="true" qos="0"/>
</download>
<size>28149760</size>
<targetdevice models="xl2009_plus_1024_tts xl2009_plus_2048_tts"/>
<price free="true"/>
<supplier id="tomtom">
<name>TomTom</name>
<image mimetype="image/png" url="http://home.tomtom.com/media/suppliers/tomtom_supplier_icon.png" usage="icon"/>
</supplier>
<build>1240</build>
</program>
</HOME2>
in .\framework\InstallToDeviceThread.cpp:1324
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:82
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1061
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

Time: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:28:14 GMT

Well I work a a large tech company so I have access to a bunch of systems. So I have install Home fresh on 3 systems today, logged in to my account , and run through the steps on all systems. Same results. To me it look like a HW issue.

Well I work a a large tech company so I have access to a bunch of systems. So I have install Home fresh on 3 systems today, logged in to my account , and run through the steps on all systems. Same results. To me it look like a HW issue.
Yes, I saw which company :cool:. Was wondering if you were seeing files corrupted through a proxy server, but your last post seems to indicate something else entirely.

I'm interested that what appears to keep failing is the transfer of data from your hard drive to your TomTom. The first error that pops up in your last post is a small and simple flag file that Home can't seem to move to your TomTom successfully (I'm assuming drive M was your TomTom - correct?).

Since you've already installed Home on several different boxes with the same results, it's really time to give DHNs formatting suggestion a shot as a last resort. Be sure to pay heed to his requirement that you don't use the "Quickformat" option when you do so. You want the whole enchilada.

Almost forgot to ask the obvious: You HAVE tried a different USB cable, yes?

OK,, I tried it from scratch again , same results, just reboots at the "I Accept" screen. After formating, the Tom Tom updater loaded version 8.415. However, when I connected after the load, it then said there was a new updat , version 9. o something.
Oops - just reread your post and it appears you've already tried the formatting option. And yes, the next version offered for your unit will probably be 9.024... assuming we can get you there.

To answer your question,, yes I have tried different USB cables,, no help. So last night, I formated (full) the device again, and used explorer to copy a known good backup from July over to the XL. That went OK untill I tried to use the XL. At least I got past the "Accept" screen but it still froze and rebooted within a minute or so. I really think there is a hardware issue with it. I will see what TT tech support says.

I really think there is a hardware issue with it. I will see what TT tech support says.
I'm afraid that's your next move. Appreciate that you persisted through all of our attempts from this end, but I think you're out of options. Time to give them a call. They'll try to run you through all of the same rigamarole, but I think you're going to need to send the unit in for repair. No idea how you bought it or what card used, etc., but what's your warranty status? You must be close to the 1 year point.

Well I decided to give it one more shot so I:

1, Full formatted the device
2, Copied over a recent know good BU w/SW 9.052
3, The ran error check with bad sector recovery and data check turned on
4, Fired it up and low and behold, it works! So far has not rebooted when setting all my prefferences,, haven't tried navigating yet though.
5. Feeling brave, I went to TT home and ran only the GPS position and Map share updates, and they seemed to take OK,, still working. Not brave enough however to get the SW update to 9.059. I may do a backup in it's current state and then try the update. Hate to kick a sleeping dog thought, probably should count my blessings and call it a day and never download another full update.

Well I decided to give it one more shot so I:

1, Full formatted the device
2, Copied over a recent know good BU w/SW 9.052
3, The ran error check with bad sector recovery and data check turned on
4, Fired it up and low and behold, it works! So far has not rebooted when setting all my prefferences,, haven't tried navigating yet though.
OK - so what the heck was different THAT time? Might help some other folks down the road if we could understand what magic just happened. Any ideas on what you did differently?

5. Feeling brave, I went to TT home and ran only the GPS position and Map share updates, and they seemed to take OK,, still working. Not brave enough however to get the SW update to 9.059. I may do a backup in it's current state and then try the update. Hate to kick a sleeping dog thought, probably should count my blessings and call it a day and never download another full update.
Just be sure you do that Windows backup of the WHOLE thing before you tackle 9.059 - and that's the first I've see of that version number, BTW. Wonder what they did THIS time???

Well I got my hopes up too soon. It will work fine up until route planning. It almost finishes but then it re-boots. Back to square one. Tim to send it in for repaires. Bummer is it just went ou of warrantee, hopefully they wont ream me too bad.

Correction on the version #, it was 9.056. It took 2 trys but it finally loaded.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question