XL does not show speed limits

My TomTom XL suddenly stopped showing any speed limits whatsoever for other roads than European major highways. Configuration unchanged and of course selected to show speed limits.

Got latest firmware ver 8.080 (9662/040301) OS: 1000 and map 'Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB' v 840.2561
Any hint in which file the speed limits are stored?

Seems to be no corrupt files since backing up all tomtom files to my local computer works OK without complaints.

Any hints how to solve the problem? :confused:

/best regards from Mike in Sweden

Last edited:
Well, the speed limity data is normally only available for major highways, not sideroads. One presumes that each map update contains more current & accurate data. For example, your map is now two years out of date.

Also, if you do have IQ routing on you7r unit, did you by any chance disable it?

Well, the speed limity data is normally only available for major highways, not sideroads.

In the UK, we have speed limit data for most roads now.

Any hint in which file the speed limits are stored?
I don't think they are stored in a separate file at all. Thy are buried in the main map data files (cline.dat etc.)

Seems to be no corrupt files since backing up all tomtom files to my local computer works OK without complaints.

Any hints how to solve the problem? :confused:

No backups you can go back to?

Tried a reset and/or a return to factory settings?

Tried changing the config to NOT show speed limits and then back again? (the old "turn it off and on again" trick!)

Yes, it has been showing speed limits OK also for all smaller roads until recently.

I will try a factory reset, and if this doesn't do the trick I will revert to a backup from April. I suspected that the speed limit data was integrated into the map file, which makes sence.

Yes I have disabled and then enabled again the Show speed limits function but it did not do the trick.

When thinking about it, the loss of speed limit data is suspiciously well synchronized with the recent update of firmware ;-( which is alarming....!!

So my next question is if it is possible to downgrade e.g revert to an older firmware??

Last option is buying new map update for about 800 skr which equals to about $120 or about £75 or 90 Euro - which I don't know if it will solve the problem and is pointless since I can buy a new top range tomtom for about 20% higher cost including latest maps etc. :eek:

TNX for all advice, it is very much appreciated! :cool:

/best regards from Mike

Usually there's no problem downgrading to an earlier software version, it's just a matter of replacing all the "loose" files on the device (i.e. the ones NOT in a folder) with earlier ones, either from a backup or from a manual download (we can supply download links for most versions).

Sometimes, however, the bootloader software is updated too and occasionally that does not allow an easy return to older software.

Reverting to a backup first is the easiest way to check if that solves the problem.

Andy I would very much appreciate a link to the "root files" of the device in order to revert to one version older software for TomTom XL.

No problem for me replacing the root files if I only can get hold of the files needed.

My current software status is ver 8.080 (9662/040301) OS: 1000

Do you have a link to the files neccessary for downgrading to the previous version?

/best regards from Mike in Sweden :)

For non-TTS One XL: ONE XL
For TTS One XL: ONE_XLS

But first, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents before starting to delete any existing loose files!

Thanks dhn... I was away for the weekend, with only an Amazon Kindle for internet access!

Ask a Question