XL 350M - 2GB or 1GB?

Hey folks,

A month ago, RCSS offered the 350M for $69.99 - but my local store didn't carry it. Now, CT will be offering it for $99.99 and I'm thinking about getting one. But... does it have 1GB of memory or 2GB? The spreadsheet available says 2GB, while pretty much every other review on the Internet says 1GB only. Could an actual 350M owner enlighten me on this, please?

I've been looking for some time for a new TomTom to replace my trusted but aging 720; for a while I considered the 2405[T]M - Best Buy had it for $129 for a while, now it's $169 - but the annoyances of that specific model made me decide against buying it.

Find a 540 TM somewhere, amazon, maybe?

or send a pm to supermod mvl who monitors the spreadsheet; he may be able to clarify for you.

Using a certain 'magic decoder ring', I can say that I know of NO XL350 units that are 1GB. There are two models that have been sold as a 350, although one oddball and might not have made it to market, but both are 2GB. The 'normal' one will have a serial number starting with GK, and the 'oddball' will start with GJ.

Like dhn, I also have a strong preference for the XXL540TM when they can be found.

Thank you both - dhn, canderson.

The reason I'm not looking for a 540M may seem unusual: it doesn't fit well with my dashboard's geometry and my current mount. I tried one last year - a friend loaned me a 540M for a week - so, yes, I have hands-on experience with a 5" GPS. I have very good visual acuity, so I don't need bigger letters/symbols on a bigger screen.

It's more than that. The 540 retains functionality/options that ones such as the 350 don't. Check mvl's chart again.

Wonder if by any remote chance there are still XL340TM units out there? I'd rather have one of those than a 350M. That would keep the OP in a smaller unit, but with more features.

I was in Walmart the other day and they had the XL-335TM for $119. It's same as the XL-340, except no Mexico map... which gives you more room on the device for other stuff.

The 335 is also an EasyMenu unit vs. traditional 6 button, and the feature difference (e.g., lack of itinerary planning) can be an issue for some users.

The 335 is also an EasyMenu unit vs. traditional 6 button, and the feature difference (e.g., lack of itinerary planning) can be an issue for some users.
No, The XL335TM has a full menu.... Including itinerary planning. I know that for sure as that is the model I have. I never would buy an 'easy menu' unit.

Sent from iPad

Humour us please, Rick... What're the first two characters of the serial number?

Hi Andy,

It's RU.....

We've had this discussion about a year ago. I definitely have a XL-335TM.

Rick - the RU is an XL S IQ Routes Edition (XL IQ Routes TTS* / 340S - 2GB), aka 340.
The magic decoder ring doesn't lie (our decoder ring was .. ahem .. "obtained" since our last conversation on this topic. A 'stray' file from TomTom's own server).
A real 335 of any flavor would start with GI.

The 340 is a better unit in some respects (although the 335 does have a faster USB connection). If you got a unit with an RU serial number in a 335 package, well...

Gosh, here we go again... :rolleyes:

I have the XL335TM... which HAS the standard menu even from TomTom's page here:

http://gpstracklog.com/compare/tomtom-comparison-chart

The only difference between the 335 and 340 is that the 340 has Mexico map. The 335 has just US/Canada. I DO NOT have Mexico map, just USA and Canada. BOTH the 335 and 340 have the standard menu and NOT the easy menu as you can see from the chart linked above and screen capture below.

Here's a link to a forum discussion almost 2 yrs ago about the differences. Link should point to dhn statement saying the same thing as above... but further down someone wrote that the 335LM (that's LM not TM) has the easy menu. Maybe this is causing the confusion. Ha, I even checked the paper work and box it came in. It says XL-335TM.

https://www.tomtomforums.com/t22147-335m-vs-340m-vs-350m.html#post125087

Attachments

• XL-335TM.jpg
    XL-335TM.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 322

The 335 has multiple flavors:
-The 335SE/LE/LM all are easymenu
-The 335S/T/M/TM are full menu

And to the OP: All Tomtoms with IQroutes in the USA are 2GB or larger devices. The 1GB pre-IQroutes models were no longer manufactured after 2008, and I haven't seen them in stores for a long time.

The 335 has multiple flavors:
-The 335SE/LE/LM all are easymenu
-The 335S/T/M/TM are full menu

Looking forward to seeing how all THAT fits on the next Excel sheet, mvl...:cool: (I gave up and just made an extra column on my local copy).

There was obviously something odd going on around that time if Canderson's master list isn't in error either.

WalMart had the 'exclusive' on the 335SE for ages. Even at WalMart's online site right now, the ONLY TM version of the 335 that I see is the 335SE TM, and the SE is the EasyMenu UI.

WalMart had the 'exclusive' on the 335SE for ages. Even at WalMart's online site right now, the ONLY TM version of the 335 that I see is the 335SE TM, and the SE is the EasyMenu UI.
That's surely possible. I didn't get it out of the case at Walmart to check its functionality. I just happened to be in that area of the store looking at iPad accessories and noticed their sale price. Sorry for any confusion.

I purchased my 335TM at Target almost two years ago. It sure can get confusing with all their models they still have for sale.

Rick -
When you connect to your PC, does your '335' connect at USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 speeds? That is probably the clearest 'tell' for what they actually packed under the hood of your unit since it's strictly a hardware question vs. many of the differences that could be accounted for in firmware.

Ask a Question