XL 340s "Quirks"

I'm using a TT XL 340s which (with the help of this forum) is upgraded to Map version 840 and app #9.025.

I've experienced several quirks:

-The battery meter drops faster than the gas gauge in my SUV. As soon as I unplug it from the charger after being fully charged it drops by at least 1/8. Also if I unplug the unit then reconnect it to the charger it will resume charging for a long time. I've already dimmed the display significantly. Is this normal, or do I have a bad battery?

-Instructions are given very late, several times I've missed turns because the unit didn't tell me to turn until it was too late. Sometimes in a known area it has waited to give me the instruction until I was already 3/4 of the way around the turn. These issues don't bother me in known areas, but it doesn't inspire confidence for traveling. Is this software related? maybe it will get fixed

-The position of my vehicle shown at intersections is inaccurate, it will show me 150-200 feet from an intersection even when I'm the first one at a light maybe 30 feet at the most from the center of the intersection. This possibly is related to the late directions.

-The map shows turns where the road simply curves, it should say "stay straight" and instead it will say "turn left" or "turn right" leading to a lot of confusion.

-Safety cameras are sometimes shown and sometimes not, there is no consistency. Even passing the same camera several times a day it only beeps about half the time.

-The touchscreen is balky, sometimes it registers double taps, and sometimes it just jumps back a screen. I've read about this with app 9.025 and it doesn't really bother me, I'm just listing it here for people researching this unit.

These are my biggest concerns with this unit, I'm trying to decide whether to keep it or not since my return window is rapidly closing. The features included with this unit are great I love the TTS the safety camera warnings when they work, the IQ routing. I'd really like to keep it, but can I count on TT to fix these issues?

Do you happen to have your map set to shown a whole bunch of poi categories? The reason I ask is that showing any more than maybe 4 or 5 max tends to cause slower screen refreshes which will elicit some of the symptoms you are reporting.

It may help to reset the unit (hold the power button for 10-15 seconds) on your unit.

Also try the Clear flash tool found here. Run it 3 times.

Last Location Frozen on Map Screen

I have my 340S set to navigate to a home. I stop somewhere before I get home and turn off the TomTom unplug it and put it away. When I'm ready to leave I plug it back in and turn it on. The screen is frozen on my last location I stopped. It doesn't search for satellites after I turn it on. It shows I have satellite connections. I can't remeber if I get the opening bridge screen or not. I can go to the menu screen and delete the navigation and enter a new location to go to. But when I start driving the map doesn't show where I'm going. Its still stuck on my last location. I turn the device on and off but it still comes up to my last location. Its done this twice. When I got home I plugged the device into my computer and it cleared it up. Is there a way to clear this if I'm on the road.

I couldn't figure out how to start a new thread so I replied here. I figured this falls under "XL 340s Quirks".

Try holding the power button for 10 seconds the next time it does this to reset the unit.

The screen is frozen on my last location I stopped. It doesn't search for satellites after I turn it on. It shows I have satellite connections.".

Hmm, I've only had that happen to me when I turn it on and it's searching for satellites. In another thread, someone suggested clearing the last route off the GPS before turning it off to solve a different problem. It might work in your case too.

Ask a Question