XL 340S problems after update

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered, but I didn't see this exact problem:

I tried to update my XL 340S, before taking a road trip this weekend. HOME said there was an application update and a map update, so I said yes. Now the device screen is just black (except for the LCD backlight). I tried resetting the unit -- no good. I can hear the drums when it starts up, but no screen. Then I deleted the files from the root folder and reinstalled the application -- same problem. FWIW, I can see the device in HOME and Explorer.

Please help!

Last edited:
Don't know if this helps but make an Explorer, not Home, backup of the unit's contents.

Then format the unit, don't use quickformat. Restore the backup. See if that helps.

Does the unit work properly in Home's emulator (Operate my unit)?

Since the OP is on such a short timetable, and just in case, it might be a good idea (if possible) to find out -- do you know what firmware version you had before and after the update? Had it been a long time since you last updated? I can't recall that we've had Home providing any 'spurious' firmware to 340's, but ...

Since you are able to see the unit with your computer, if you could check (with the text editor of your choice) the content of the file called ttgo.bif in the root of your unit, please advise the version numbers on these two lines of text in that file:

BootLoaderVersion=

ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=

I think dhn will be able to make some sense of what you find there.

Last, do you have a backup of your unit BEFORE you started the updating process - preferably one made with your computer's OS and not Home?

Thanks for the speedy replies, dhn and canderson!

I don't know what firmware the device had before the update. I've had it for about six months, and I'm pretty sure I updated it when I first got it.

Here's the info you requested:

BootLoaderVersion=10012
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9061

The device appears to work in the HOME emulator -- does that mean there's no point in reformatting? Unfortunately, I didn't back up the device before updating, but I've copied all the files now (using Explorer).

Thanks for the advice!

ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9061
OK - so far so good. At least 9.061 is a proper firmware version. Wish you had backed up before updating - we recommend that for all units where it's possible. With that, we can get you out of almost any ditch.

The device appears to work in the HOME emulator -- does that mean there's no point in reformatting?
Negative. The emulator is just using the data it found on your device. After a fashion, it's replacing the problem code on your unit. I'd go ahead with dhn's suggestion to format and keep your fingers crossed. However, after doing so, I would copy JUST the map folder from your backup (it'll be called US/CAN/MEX or somesuch depending upon model) to your unit, plug it into Home, and try to let Home repopulate your unit with firmware and the odds and ends.

Thanks, canderson! I've reformatted the device and now I'm waiting for the maps folder (ONLY!) to copy over. Then I'll plug it into HOME and see what happens.

I'll keep you posted!

Sadly, that didn't fix it. Is there something else you could suggest?

Thanks!
Man, I wish I could say that there was. You've limited the possibilities to the content of the map folder and the low level firmware or the hardware.

Q: In the beginning, you said you 'updated' your maps along with the firmware. Well - you said that Home said there was "an application update and a map update". What was the nature of the map update? I see that you have the 340S and not the 340TM. Do you mean a real map update, or one of the regular 'mapshare' updates?

Ask a Question