XL 340S error - no room for updated map (Mac OS)

TomTom Model(s)
XL 340-S
New member, first time GPS user. Downloaded software, was prompted to update maps, then told my brand new device didn't have enough memory available, and that my device didn't support memory cards. Told to delete some files but message cryptic and hard to follow. I must have done something wrong - how could a new GPS not be able to accept an updated map right out of the box? Any help on finding those files to delete on a Mac?

TIA

How? Because in their idiocy, TT offers a map too large for the storage space (not memory) on your unit.

I gather the map was downloaded. Use Finder to move to the location of the downloaded map file. On a pc, the location would be:

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

I don't know what the file structure is on a Mac but if you check using Home, Tools, Folder Locations, you'll see where it shows downloaded files for you.

Once you've found the compressed cab folder, you need Stuffit to look at the contents. Within the voice folder, you'll see a bunch of files looking like dataxx.vif and dataXX.chk where XX is a number. The vif file shows the language of the voice when you open it in a pc with notepad, so use Mac's equivalent to notepad to look in the .vif file. Every .vif file NOT in English, remove that from the cab file AND the associated .chk file.

Once all the non English .vif and .chk files are removed from the cab file, the resultant (smaller) cab file should install.

Thanks dhn,

I found my download and there were 5 or 6 files with the zipped map file being 1.76 GB and the rest only 6 or 8 kb. When I double clicked on the map file (US-Canada-Mexico) Stuffitt launched and worked a bit but returned an error saying not able to un-archive. So I never got as far as the vif files. I have an email into TT tech support and got an automated response saying they are experiencing an unusually heavy load of requests for support. Hmm...wonder why. Anyway, the map it came with works good enough for now. I'll wait for their response Thanks anyway for your help!

update - problem solved

Update:
The next time I launched TomTom Home (2.7.2.598 on Firefox for Mac) it gave me a window I hadn't seen before. It said I had a map waiting to be uploaded to the device but there wasn't enough room (I knew that!) and then listed a number of files on the device that could be deleted and how much space that would gain back. As I selected different files, it instantly calculated how much free space would be left if I selected the new map that earlier wouldn't fit. Now that's more like it. I had it delete all the foreign language voices and delete the old map and add the new one, and bottom line ended up with 89 MB free. But as others have reported it took hours to complete the upload to the device. I ended up going to bed at 1 a.m. with it still running. The progress bar is meaningless. It finished some time during the night, but works fine now.

Thanks for all the help and guidance on this forum. I would have given up and returned it without it.

Ask a Question