xl 340-s keeps rebooting itself

Last night the unit just started going nuts, it would keep rebooting itself, freezing, then rebooting itself again. Later on we removed the main map in hopes that we could reinstall it and hopefully fix the problem, but it told us there wasn't enough space, so now, even after deleting pretty much everything (I'm only using up 20mb currently) the map still needs 50mbs, but this is just the stock North America / Canada / Top half of Mexico, that comes stock with the unit.

I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem, had any temporary fixes, cause I've already contacted TomTom about it, and they're gonna fix it, but anyone else had this problem?

To fit the map, remove all foreign voices to free up space.

If it continues to reboot, try "Operate my XL" in tomtom HOME. If Operate my XL works properly, go to your Favorites and add/rename one. (This favorite change seems to clean up corruption that causes reboots after a new map.)

Thanks for the quick reply, but the only things installed on the device are

(9.4 MB) TomTom Application for TomTom XL IQ Routes Edition S
(1.3 MB) Bonni and Lori Voices
(0.4 MB) Car Symbols
(0.4 MB) Shut-down Images
(0.2 MB) QuickGPSfix

When I try to install the map it says, "You need to remove 50.9 MB". :(

One quick thought - do you have view hidden/system files turned on? Are you looking at the drive in Windows Explorer?

Otherwise, you may have a corrupt filesystem, the map used to fit so it should fit again.

You can try formatting the device's memory as Fat32, then have HOME reinstall the application and map (assuming you have the map backed up, it isn't free unless you bought the tomtom in the last 30 days). Then have HOME reinstall voices last as they are the biggest.

If HOME doesn't recognize the tomtom after a format, disconnect it and turn it on/off a few times, then try again.

Last edited:
Do you by chance have a bunch of csspeechxx.dat files in your map folder (like one for every state + 1 for CAn + 1 for DC + 1 for PR?

If so, and there are states you figure you're never going to travel to (or, at least, use your gps in) then:

1. Remove the cspeech files for each of the states you 'do not need'. Don't delete them, save them in a folder on your pc.
2. Try to copy back the map now.

I'm not sure your model has such files but it's worth a look..............

Yeah, I formatted it and it's still only 1.91 gigs overall on the unit, whereas I'm only left with 1920mb, and need 1969 for the map itself, it sucks so bad, because before I had enough room for the map, plus like 200-300 mbs left over...

The map is 1.9, but HOME will take out the cspeech files automatically since your device doesn't use it. I think the resulting file is around 1.7-ish.

Now that it's formatted, try letting HOME install the application then the map. Does it still say you can't fit the map?

The map is 1.9, but HOME will take out the cspeech files automatically since your device doesn't use it. I think the resulting file is around 1.7-ish.

If you try the format instructions from my earlier post you may get it working.
Yeah, I did format it to Fat32, but still remained at the low space on the device. I lost over 300 mbs of space on it :(

Flash ram controllers usually don't report bad sectors (since they do sector remapping/wear leveling on the fly), they just shrink their cards. This can also happen after premature disconnects.

Try repeated reformats, as tomtom's controllers are known to "grow" the space on the cards after a few formats, especially if a premature disconnect was the cause and not physical flash ram failure.

If it doesn't grow to at least 1.9 gigs, you're probably in need of warranty replacement due to failing internal flash ram.

Ask a Question