XL 335T - No computer voices after update

I have a new XL 335T and when I connected to it my XP PC and proceeded to download the update, it displayed an error message but then appeared to finish the update, (which to download took many hours) and device rebooted...No US English voices, the computer voices showed up in grey (could not select) tried to download voices found two, it said the computer voices were already installed, so at least it works, but no street names like the computerized voices have. I too am not to satisfied with the responses I just read in this post...

What error message did you encounter and have you tried resetting the unit by holding the power button for 10 seconds or so till you hear the drum roll?

Even if you have selected a computer voice, there is still an option in the settings to determine if street names are read out or not.Maybe that has got unticked?

I don't have the same model as you, but on mine it is in Change Preferences / Voices / Voice preferences / "Read aloud street names"

Cannot select computer voices. I looked in the file with explorer andd they are there, but they do not show up on the unit with the other voices.

Yes I have English US selected. Still no computer voices to select on the GPS unit, but when using the TomTom home and looking at the files with explorer they are there. Worked fine befoer the last map update.

And if you use Home to Add Voices, are any computer voices offered to you for downloading?

Nope. No computer voices to select. I tried deleting them from the unit. Then I connected it to Home and it showed they were there to download and I downloaded them, but still made no difference.

Nope. No computer voices to select. I tried deleting them from the unit. Then I connected it to Home and it showed they were there to download and I downloaded them, but still made no difference.
My experience was similar but not exactly the same. The files for the computer voices showed up both in Explorer and on the selection menu of the XXL540, but selecting a computer voice caused total silence.

I deleted and reinstalled the computer voices multiple times without any improvement. What finally worked was - after a complete backup using Explorer - deleting every file and every folder on the TomTom EXCEPT the map folder and then letting HOME do an application installation. That did not install a computer voice at that time, but I then installed a computer voice and IT worked.

Fixed! Deleted everything and then formatted the drive. Then reloaded everything from a back up. Then connected to home and did the update. Works great now, Lost all my POI's and favs but I can re load them.

Thanks all, nothing on either of these responses worked. I appreciate the help. I returned the unit to the store and am sticking with the GPS that's on my phone.

Ask a Question