XL 335 SE No Backup and unit quit after updating

TomTom Model(s)
XL 335 SE
I use this for my job and did a back up via the TT software Home and after updating the unit will not do anything except show a a Picture of the Unit on left and a RED circle with a WHITE X in it on the right side.

Tried to do a restore, no good as the backup is on 1 byte in size.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

First do another backup, but NOT using the wretched TT Home.

See How to BACKUP the contents of your unit to the computer (and how to RESTORE it!)

This is essential, as your maps need preserving. Most other things can be replaced for free but not your maps.

Then try all the steps in
Old style Tomtom Acting Up? - Part 1 - First Steps In System Recovery, and
Old style Tomtom Acting Up? - Part 2 - How To reinstall *fresh* Software using Home

You'll probably need part two, but go through part one first, just in case.

OK. Just to Clear this up

I have NO Backup for this unit at all. It Will do nothing except show the screen I described.

NO WONDER SO MANY ARE BUYING Garmins now days.

Er hello?

I said to to make a NEW backup, nothing about using an old one.

And just to clear something else up.... WE ARE NOTHING TO DO WITH TOMTOM THE COMPANY, so you're wasting your breath insulting them here, we've heard it all before.

When I hook the devise to the computer and look at it in Explorer - the only thing that shows is ###.dat 1 byte

Yes my computer is set to show hidden files and folders and I have used my desktop and my laptop to check the unit for a difference of files just in case.

Not trying to anger or upset anyone.

Did go through the forums and read the reply similar about doing a backup without using TT software, that is when I found the one file and nothing else on the unit.
I can not understand why they do not offer a CD in the package when you buy them.

I do appreciate any and all help.

OK, thanks for clearing that up... when you said "No backup" I didn't realise you meant you COULDN'T make a new one.

So it looks like the entire internal memory has corrupted. Unfortunately I'm afraid that means you've lost your maps. Everything else can be replaced for free, but new maps will cost you.

If you want to try restoring everything, the first thing to do is to reformat the unit, using Windows Explorer's normal Formatting routine (right click on the TT drive and select "Format...".
Reformat to FAT32 and then follow that second help file to get new software via Home. You'll also need at leat one voice before the unit will run.

Hopefully you'll then get back to a unit which will start up but present you with a "No maps found" message. After that, you'll have to decide whether it's worth buying new maps.

I don't think any sat-nav manufacturer would offer a set of maps on a CD (or DVD) in the box, as they would be far too easy to pirate.

I don't think any sat-nav manufacturer would offer a set of maps on a CD (or DVD) in the box, as they would be far too easy to pirate.
Garmin has actually done this with their maps (City Navigator), though now they also allow for a download (and still offer on SD/uSD as well). See here: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1456

It's not quite as easy to pirate as it might appear to be. They do have to be 'unlocked'. Somehow, Garmin survives.

Ask a Question