XL 330 s, map change

Just got back from the USA, where my Go 910 failed, i bought a XL 330 s, to use while there.

My question is, can i uninstall the map of USA and Canada, and install the GB map onto the XL 330.

Unfortunately not. Maps are locked to the specific device they were installed on.

What do you mean that maps are locked to the specific device? Surely, there's a crack for it out-there. Besides, when you buy and pay for a map it becomes your property and you should be able to use and dispose of it as you see fit, particularly when rendered outdated three months later. There is no "locking" of the annual Rand McNally's Road Atlas. TomTom better shape up soon.

Cheers,

... one3rd0804

Maps are hardly 'outdated' within 3 months of first distribution. Many never updated their maps and are fine, other update perhaps once a year.

As to hacking of maps, read the announcement about this (and all other legitimate) site's view about that. It can be found following the announcement at the top of the forum.

Well, TomTom says: ". . . Stay up to date with TomTom's Map Update Service . . four new maps each year". You can only read this to mean that if you're not updated you're outdated.

Aside from this, I did not say outdated within 3 months, I said outdated after the 3 months. Worse is, of course, buying a map the day before a new map is published, perhaps only to find that none of the changes to the roads you need updates for have made it into the new map.

I guess my point was that, at the current high price for new maps, TomTom needs to give us a hint as to the areas where route updates are made from one map release to the next. Presently, one kind of buys their newest map and hope for the best. That ain't cutting edge customer service. Many software applications provide a list of changes from one version to the next, so that one can determine from that list if it's worth updating. TomTom could learn from this but, obviously, they wouldn't have those users buying map updates they don't need subsidizing those who do.

As to hacking of maps: As I said, TomTom better shape up and provide leading edge map update service and ditto pricing.

Cheers,

... one3rd0804

What do you mean that maps are locked to the specific device? Surely, there's a crack for it out-there. Besides, when you buy and pay for a map it becomes your property and you should be able to use and dispose of it as you see fit, particularly when rendered outdated three months later. There is no "locking" of the annual Rand McNally's Road Atlas. TomTom better shape up soon.

Cheers,

... one3rd0804

?

There is this new thing called anti-piracy the software manufactures and the gov is trying to crack down on. You may have heard of it... :)

If the software wasnt "locked" to a device what would keep you from giving it too your friends or whatever? Therefore what would keep Tomtom from spending millions into map design to only have one person buy it for 60 bucks and let it spread to a million people.

And a lot of maps dont work with other devices, imagine the tech support nightmare that would be.

Rand McNally's locking mechanism are maps that arent legal document size to prevent duplication as much as possible.

Do you think this is something just tomtom does to protect there investments? And you should always read the terms and condition before buying something. If you dont like them you can go somewhere else before making any investments...

Well, TomTom says: ". . . Stay up to date with TomTom's Map Update Service . . four new maps each year". You can only read this to mean that if you're not updated you're outdated.

Aside from this, I did not say outdated within 3 months, I said outdated after the 3 months. Worse is, of course, buying a map the day before a new map is published, perhaps only to find that none of the changes to the roads you need updates for have made it into the new map.

I guess my point was that, at the current high price for new maps, TomTom needs to give us a hint as to the areas where route updates are made from one map release to the next. Presently, one kind of buys their newest map and hope for the best. That ain't cutting edge customer service. Many software applications provide a list of changes from one version to the next, so that one can determine from that list if it's worth updating. TomTom could learn from this but, obviously, they wouldn't have those users buying map updates they don't need subsidizing those who do.

As to hacking of maps: As I said, TomTom better shape up and provide leading edge map update service and ditto pricing.

Cheers,

... one3rd0804

They have an update service. It was one of the first digital map update service at that. And their prices are less expensive then the competition. I dont know what you are talking about, do you?

Ask a Question